Thread: Parallellogram jointer-Grizzly

Parallellogram jointer-Grizzly

Does anyone ahve anything other than positive feedback on the Grizzly Parallelogram 8 inch jointer?
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 02-14-2017 at 1:15 PM.

It was heavy to move down 4 stairs into my shop. And, oh yeah, the packing grease was abundant and tough to remove in places.

I've had mine for a few years now. Within the first few months I owned it the key on the arbor came loose. Of course the key locks the pulley on the arbor and so the rotation was spinning my pulley away from the motor and causing the belt to rub the housing around the upper pulley. I kept loosening the motor bolts and resetting the motor further and further back into the housing until I had no more room before finally concluding something else was wrong. Finally, I called Grizzly service and they lead me to discover the loose key and a sheered motor arbor. They sent me a new key, pulley, belt..and a new motor. No mechanical problems since then but the carbide cutter heads did take off the tip of my middle finger about a year later when I was foolishly working small material through without a push block.

After 3 years of ownership my takeaway on the machine is that Grizzly provides the same (quality) design as the more expensive models. I can't say whether I would have experienced a loose key if it were a Powermatic but the customer service was exceptional.

This reply probably isn't exactly what you're after since in the end everything worked out fine. But, I did spend several hours trying to diagnose the problem and then reinstalling the new parts. This is the risk with buying a lower cost Grizzly and it's not for everyone.

I have had my G0490X for 5 years or more now. Loose set screws are a known problem with them. When I received mine, I took the time to remove all set screws and reinstall them with blue thread locker. I have had no problems at all.

It works well.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I have had my G0490X for 5 years or more now. Loose set screws are a known problem with them. When I received mine, I took the time to remove all set screws and reinstall them with blue thread locker. I have had no problems at all.

It works well.
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I am mostly a hand tool guy but upgrading the power tool side of the shop. This Jointer seems pound for pound and dollar for dollar like the best jointer for my shop.

When the Tax return money comes, I honestly think I am going to dump one of these into my shop mix.

Chris

I don't have that one but have a number of Grizzly tools in the shop, including a G0586 jointer. I did have a problem with start switch eventually but otherwise the jointer was great; dead flat and smooth. I think their jointers are the best valued tools they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Curry View Post
    I've had mine for a few years now. Within the first few months I owned it the key on the arbor came loose. Of course the key locks the pulley on the arbor and so the rotation was spinning my pulley away from the motor and causing the belt to rub the housing around the upper pulley. I kept loosening the motor bolts and resetting the motor further and further back into the housing until I had no more room before finally concluding something else was wrong. Finally, I called Grizzly service and they lead me to discover the loose key and a sheered motor arbor. They sent me a new key, pulley, belt..and a new motor. <snip>
    Had the same problem with my 15" planer. Key came out, Grizzly sent me a new motor, pulley etc. Then the bottom pulley bold kept loosening which would cause the belt to rattle. I had to tighten every time I started the machine. Finally set it with some Loctite and it hasn't given me any problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Smallwood View Post
    Had the same problem with my 15" planer. Key came out, Grizzly sent me a new motor, pulley etc. Then the bottom pulley bold kept loosening which would cause the belt to rattle. I had to tighten every time I started the machine. Finally set it with some Loctite and it hasn't given me any problems since.

Actually, this is very helpful in two ways-knowing that Grizzly ahs responsive customer service and also knowing what to look for when the machine arrives.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I am mostly a hand tool guy but upgrading the power tool side of the shop. This Jointer seems pound for pound and dollar for dollar like the best jointer for my shop.

When the Tax return money comes, I honestly think I am going to dump one of these into my shop mix.

Chris
    I agree. While I don't use my G0490 very often it's great when I need it. You might want to search for posts on this machine. It has a lot of vibration on start up and especially when shut off. Some have found ways to fix or reduce the vibration. I just got used to it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    G0490X since 2008. Nothing bad to say. Still smile every time I use it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have worked on a couple of these and would say that if you take a few minutes when you get it to check all the set screws and put some thread locker on them and verify that all is as it should be, it is a great tool, especially for the money. Actually with very few exceptions, any new tool should be gone over and "set up" when you get it. They may be perfect and then again they may not be. More often that not, they all could benefit from a little tweaking.

Grizzly service and support are among the best in the industry at this time. Some of the old brand names have changed their business model and parts and support are non existent.

CPeter

I've had my G0490 (No X) for 6-7 years. Love it. Yes, blue loctite is your friend.

I sharpen my own jointer and planer knives on a Makita wet wheel sharpener. There is nothing quite like the wood surface from a newly sharpened and tuned up jointer or planer with HSS knives.

But you have to enjoy the process, which I do. For those who don't, the 'X' is the way to go and it has the added advantage of being kind to figured woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I've had my G0490 (No X) for 6-7 years. Love it. Yes, blue loctite is your friend.

I sharpen my own jointer and planer knives on a Makita wet wheel sharpener. There is nothing quite like the wood surface from a newly sharpened and tuned up jointer or planer with HSS knives.

But you have to enjoy the process, which I do. For those who don't, the 'X' is the way to go and it has the added advantage of being kind to figured woods.
    Glad it has worked out so well for you...Maybe my love for sharpening hand tools will transfer into a love of setting jointer knives