Thread: Storing Lumber In Cold Weather - Any advice appreciated

Storing Lumber In Cold Weather - Any advice appreciated

Hey all,

I am brand new to woodworking and even newer to this forum so forgive me if this has been asked before or if it is a dumb question.

I am in the process of building a farmhouse table out of non treated southern yellow pine and my current workspace is my backyard. The temps are fluctuating from low/mid 60s during the day to mid/high 30s at night. I am wondering if it is safe to store the finished table on a covered patio for 1-2 days without the wood twisting in any way.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Ryan Cormack; 02-14-2017 at 3:06 PM.

If the table is to be used indoors the lumber should of been stored inside for awhile before you even started milling, assembling it. Wood needs to acclimate to it's surroundings. I.E humidity changes, temperature, etc.
    Being left outside i'm pretty sure the humidity is higher, the lumber will absorb this moisture and loose it when brought inside. How much it moves is any ones guess. Different species of lumber react differently. If you've left room for the wood to move you should be ok. If your joints are tight they stand a good chance of loosening up as the wood dries.
    Good luck, you could get lucky.

Thanks. All of the lumber has been stored indoors and has been dried correctly. The table is currently in my shed and my biggest issue is that once finally assembled, the top attached to the base, I run out of space to store it before moving it indoors for use.

Most of the troubles I have encountered from wood warping due to moisture are caused by uneven changes. If the table is complete and you allowed for movement. A problem might occur if you, say covered the top but the underside was still exposed.

When you say finished do you mean a finish has been applied? If so, you should have minimal problems

Ryan, it looks like you're looking for someone to say it's OK to keep your table in an unconditioned environment between times you are working on it. Since you say the table is "a farmhouse table out of non treated southern yellow pine" I will assume that it is not fine furniture meant for a high parlour.

Temperature is not the issue ; humidity is more the issue and, I'd say, as long as all the wood is kept in the same conditions, go for it and report back as to how it worked out after your table has been in use for a month. I think you will have no problems.

Lots of woodworkers have shops that are not kept warm with low humidity at all times. I think I would, at least, cover it up between work sessions just in cast the storm mother rolls in over night.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Ryan, it looks like you're looking for someone to say it's OK to keep your table in an unconditioned environment between times you are working on it. Since you say the table is "a farmhouse table out of non treated southern yellow pine" I will assume that it is not fine furniture meant for a high parlour.

Temperature is not the issue ; humidity is more the issue and, I'd say, as long as all the wood is kept in the same conditions, go for it and report back as to how it worked out after your table has been in use for a month. I think you will have no problems.

Lots of woodworkers have shops that are not kept warm with low humidity at all times. I think I would, at least, cover it up between work sessions just in cast the storm mother rolls in over night.
    If it is in a shed under cover you should be fine. Don't cover with plastic or some other material that will trap moisture. If you decide to finish it bring it in doors for a week or more - acclimate/stabilize and then apply a finish. OR - wait until summer and consistent warm temperatures then finish. Think of it like varnishing a boat in your backyard before launch day.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 02-15-2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: an auto correct correction
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thanks for all of the help!