Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Titanic: best movie ever?

Call me weird but for pure entertainment value, I'll watch Sin City any time I can... And speaking of Morgan Freeman, a close second is The Dark Knight. There will never be a better Joker, or any Batman villain for that matter...

I DO like Titanic, but then someone who owns 4 boats should...

Then there's the comedies, but that's for another day
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Another vote for Shawshank Redemption. Watching it now, for the zillionth time.

Well, true to my word I'm still on board,doing ok here at the bar!....not crowded! To anyone who doesn't remember the last real Titanic survivor I reccomend the Millvina Dean obit in the LA Times. She accepted invitations to gatherings of Titanic buffs but declined an invitation to watch the film with prince Charles. The write up did not mention the wording but I remember it was along the line of ...been there ,done that

Bill, Casablanca is frequently shown on TV in the form that speeds up the film for more commercials while not changing sound pitch. Make sure you are watching ...and hearing the real thing. Seen a scene done side by side both ways ...quite different .

Casablanca, but "As Good as it Gets" is as good as it gets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Bill, Casablanca is frequently shown on TV in the form that speeds up the film for more commercials while not changing sound pitch. Make sure you are watching ...and hearing the real thing. Seen a scene done side by side both ways ...quite different .
    I have the original colorized version when it aired for the first time in 1988.
    I also bought it on dvd.
    Plus, I've made about a bzillion copies of it in one form or another.
    Many years ago I took my youngest daughter to see it at a local film club. I found it very annoying that the whole crowd laughed at certain scenes. To me there is no humor in Casablanca.
    It also gets under my skin where so-called "critics" write such foolishness as 'Rick had grown tired of fighting the evil nazis. Ebert made such a comment once and
    I have to wonder if he even watched the whole movie.

No; not even close.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't rate Titanic very high. I'm watching Superman vs Batman right now. I'm liking Wonder Woman.

To me, Titanic was not a very good movie. There are many good movies that have stood the test of time - some are not US made movies.

But of US made movies, Lawrence of Arabia was very good, as was Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. Lawrence had a good story, good acting, good music, good photography.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf had Burton and Taylor at the top of their careers, as well as George Segal and Sandy Dennis.

Many, many others that are better than Titanic.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Well, I'll go ahead and bite...cannot resist!

I like Jack Nicholson quite a bit and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of my favorites with him in it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I am a little surprised the 1959 movie of Ben Hur, starring Charlton Heston did not get a mention.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    I am a little surprised the 1959 movie of Ben Hur, starring Charlton Heston did not get a mention.
    Good movie....just not best of show, IMHO.

Agree with Stewie that Ben Hur was good. Big deal in its day with long media descriptions about production details. But the last time I saw it I found the religious related scenes to be overwrought and way too long ;too much from too many choirs. People accept ancient story lines much better than out of date production values!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Mel, I also noticed that Ted Turner deleted a short piece of dialog. It's just after Rick leaves The Blue Parrot to talk to Ilsa and immediately preceeding her comment "No Rick, you see, Victor Lazlo is my husband, and was even when I knew you in Paris.