Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brown Paper Bags

No one has mentioned 50 lb. seed bags...Many are triple layers, so I remove one or 2 layers. Some bags may have a plasticized layer you need to watch out for and remove...These seed or feed bags are large and can hold the big bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilson66 View Post
    I just get a roll of kraft paper from the box store, and cut off enough to cover the bowl. It is the same as the paper in the paper bags, and easy to get. A full roll will last a long time.
    +1 on the Kraft paper. Useful for wrapping turnings, packing things, clean work surface. Stays nicely compact in a roll instead of a loose stack of bags. If used a lot it would be easy to make a dispenser with a cutoff blade - I made one like that from a sharpened piece of angle iron.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    My local Walmart has a stack of them in the dairy section for ice cream and such.
    I picked up a handful one day and when I checked out I asked how much they were....that I was using them at home. The clerk said, " Well, I don't really know. I quess you can have some...they have no price on.them".
    Probably not something you could do regularly, but once in a while maybe. Depends on the clerk/salesperson you get.
    I've had one if those lawn bags get me down and pin me. Had to wait for help to come along.

Deer corn paper bags work well for large pieces or multiple small pieces to dry. I have also picked up some bags at local food pantry that were used to ship 30# or more of 1 and 2# rice. Both types of bags are multi layer paper and long enough to allow for folding top.

Wax them like David relates, and forget all the voodoo steps. It's foolproof, quick and does not rely on old goat's memories. (like mine.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Kemp View Post
    Where does everybody get brown paper bags?All my local grocery stores use plastic and what I see on line are not big enough to fit a 16 x 5 or 6 bowl into.Guess I can put a couple together if needed.
    Sonny, ask at your local grocery store. My local store uses plastic bags too. But, they have paper bags under the counter for people who don't like plastic and ask for paper.

We stick bowls in plastic boxes with shavings in them. Works for us. But we are just beginners, and maybe we are just lucky.
    my shop is in my basement as well, which is climate controlled with a heat pump.
    Paul

I use 50 lbs. feed sacks , I have had luck even with the woven plastic mesh type filled with shavings.

Costco sells brown paper bags in a variety of sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Wax them like David relates, and forget all the voodoo steps. It's foolproof, quick and does not rely on old goat's memories. (like mine.)
    Wax is good for roughouts you plan to re-turn. For once-turned green bowls you're going to come back and sand after they dry, it's no fun.