Thread: Side job for the shop...

Side job for the shop...

A friend of mine sent a box full of Rusty & Krusty stuff. My part of the job was to rehab the four block planes and a #80 Cabinet scraper back to usable status...

Spent MOST of yesterday, working on one plane at a time.....some needed a spare part or two....Finally got all 4 done, time for a group photo or two?
    front view.JPG
    L-R: Stanley #9-1/2, Millers Falls clone sold by Sears, a Hercules standard angle block , and a "Craftsman" (Sargent) low angle knuckle cap.
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Hercules got a green paint job this morning. I had to supply the front knob as well. Stanley needed an eccentric lever.
    back end view.JPG
    So "Herc" will look a little brighter, later. As for the #80?
    Half the japanning was gone, some of what was left flaked off while I was wire wheeling the rust away. Cleaned the mess up, and let a fresh coat of semi-gloss black cure overnight..
    front view.JPG
    Bolts needed cleaned....
    sole.JPG
    Sole looks better, and is flat. iron is sharpened up, and works like new. The logo on the iron has the SW inside a heart, as does the plate to clamp the iron in place..
    SW Logo.JPG
    Bolts for the clamping bar have holes in them, the front one does not..
    clamp view.JPG
    Stanley SW # 80 Cabinet Scraper. Getting ready to box these all up, and send back to their owner....maybe by tomorrow.

And NOW, maybe I can get back to wood working.....have a small dresser to build...

Nice of you to do that for your friend.

And, yes, the thumbscrews for the clamp bar on #80s have holes, but the one that pushes the scraper blade into camber doesn't - if you needed to put a nail through the cambering thumbscrew, you'd be in trouble.

Standing offer for these sort of things postage both ways, and I will reuse the box. And that usually is all.

I really enjoy seeing these "restoring/rehabbing" threads.

Thanks for taking the time to share.
    Be Blessed

George