Thread: Metal Detector For Staples!

Metal Detector For Staples!

I plane alot of rough sawn clear cedar, and I'm getting tired of ruining my knives when hitting staples, even after we check and double check for them! Just dropped off 3 sets of knives for sharpening and it's getting old so old.

So I need a better detector the the cheap harbor freight one I have, hopefully one that's specifically for scanning rough lumber. Would anyone have any suggestions for me?

another question, we often find little round pieces of something hard embedded in the lumber that's also chipping the knives I bet, what is that, road grit from Canada?

1 cheapo detector.jpg

I have an earlier model of this one. Don't know if it will pick up staples or not though.

https://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Detect...UTF8&qid=14871
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Yeah it needs to find staples, but not the rebar in the concrete floor,

I don''t mill lumber but do use alot of old reclaimed stuff.
    The BEST thing I've come up with is rare earth magnets taped about 1/4" apart to the width desired. Drag over wood and hope no "hits".
    These things will find the harmful critters, staples too. I hit too many cut nails before the light came on!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Oh that's a good idea Bruce!

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I have an earlier model of this one. Don't know if it will pick up staples or not though.

https://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Detect...UTF8&qid=14871
    I have the latest version of that one (Wizzard 4 ) and I just tested it with a paper staple (much smaller than typical staples in lumber)
    and no problem detecting it.

There are some recommendations with this company http://usedanew.com/tool-chest/ I did some business with them to get 2 more Kwick-Grippers. They are in the business of working reclaimed lumber. I have the Lumber Wizard older model, it works OK. I still do a visual with a strong light. Dan

I also recommend the Wizard detector. I'm sure it is much more expensive than the Harbor Freight one. I have never tried the HF one but would bet large sums of money that the Wizard works much, much better. It is the best one I have tried. If you want good quality and functionality, you are going to have to pay for it.

Blog Entries
    I suspect one day not too long from now saws will come with on board detectors that shut it down when it senses any metal that is in its path.

I've got an Adams security wand that's like the lumber wizard ...I find it great
    It sends the dogs barking for a bit from across the field ...
    I don't know if your battery is ok ...I suspect that it might be a good idea to get a fresh'un ...
    Might be worth doing a test first?

I have the Garrett metal detector that looks just like the Cen-tech clone you show in your 1st post. I was milling old pine timbers from our old barn and the Garret would sense the rust scale/flakes from the cut nails I had already pulled, copper BBs we carefully placed in the beams shooting at pigeons 40 years ago and 22cal slugs slugs as well. I've had it 15+ yrs and it still works well. It does sense staples too.

Nails and staples from along trees harvested along old fence lines can be buried inches deep. It is asking a lot of a $40 metal detector to find those. There is no chance at all of a magnet responding.

With that Wizard 4, can you adjust the sensitivity so it doesn't pick up rebar in the floor? That's what I think my cen tech is doing and why I don't trust it.

I haven't used mine enough to know it's full capabilities but it does have a sensitivity adjustment screw. You could check their website or contact them. I've dealt with Billy Carmen and he's a solid guy to deal with.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...mCM-upNno2ZvzA