Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right angle raised panel?

Right angle raised panel?

I am building a stairway and it gets raised panel wainscot with an additional moulding to match the doors, and I have an issue at the top of the stairs. Where the stringers end to the corner is about 8", and around the corner to the door trim is 5 3/4". I do not have room for a panel in either spot, but I do not think it would look good solid either. So, I was thinking of making a raised panel in a right angle around the corner. I have never seen this done, and technically it is no problem but I was wondering how it would look? I searched the net and could not come up with a picture, so before I waste time making a model to check it out I thought I would ask if anyone here has done it, and if so do you have a pic. I am going to have to clear this with the customer, extremely picky, so maybe a pic would help me make up my mind or keep looking for another solution.

Thanks, Larry

Email is crookedtreejoinery@att.net if that is better for you.

Have seen on wainscotting few times similar to this.
    https://www.wainscotingamerica.com/#

I think this one qualifies as UNCONVENTIONAL. More likely to see the raised panels change size - so a panel on each face - maybe narrower than those typical in the run - rather than split in two. This one calls for a mock up. Could be nice - no really - could be nice .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Larry, I have done plenty of raised panel wainscotting in, around, and up and down staircases. I have not run into your particular circumstance. I think it is definitely an option, and could be made to look good.
    However, there is the argument to be made that at a corner junction, your mind "wants" to see a vertical stile or mullion to carry the line from top rail to bottom.
    How traditional is the rest of the house? The amount of deviation from strict traditional design throughout the rest of the house would be my guide.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    There is the one option that you know wouldn't look right and then there is the one that might, the edge profile of the panel is also an important factor. If it was me, I would present both options to the customer and try to steer them toward the one that you think makes sense. A mock up is IMO indispensable,

Super crude render, with no panel profile or geometry. A decent photo realistic render from a scratch drawing may save you the cost of a mockup.
    panel.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I suggest you do a mock-up of the corner, too, to work things out. You may be able to also adjust sizing/spacing for the run to bring things together in the corner "normally". Such is the nature of "trim carpentry".

The "mock up" can be physical or virtual...it doesn't matter as long as you can properly visualize your options and do the necessary take-off from them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've done some paneling for several circle stairs and helped build a couple of the stairs. But I can not picture your situation, even a crude pencil drawing would help us. It's not unusual to have to design some special transition at top and some are quite nice and seem to the customer to be a special touch. Having some of those pics in hand when to talk to them will prove you have not goofed and put them at ease.

Replies have helped me get the picture. Think I would make a door casing that widens ,on both sides toward the bottom via a curve to make perfect corner with paneling and a special symetrical casing. There are easily found examples ,sorry I don't know what they are called. Must say I think the links to commercial sites are terrible examples.
    "Symetrical " meaning making the door trim same on both sides of the door,Not same on both sides of the casing itself.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-15-2017 at 1:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Must say I think the links to commercial sites are terrible examples.
    +1. Its insane what many sites put on the consumer. Hard to look at.

Larry, I think I've got a mental picture of what you are considering. I'll stay away from the artsy considerations, but will offer that any additional molding (or even the edge of a raised panel) that wraps around the corner will stand proud of the stiles. This may leave delicate mitered corners 'protruding'. And, it may be prone to getting dinged by everything that passes by - from suitcases to skateboarders. - - IF I am picturing this correctly.

I know stiles, or 'solid' as you refer to it, may be subject to the same abuse - - but perhaps be easier to repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Larry, I think I've got a mental picture of what you are considering. I'll stay away from the artsy considerations, but will offer that any additional molding (or even the edge of a raised panel) that wraps around the corner will stand proud of the stiles. This may leave delicate mitered corners 'protruding'. And, it may be prone to getting dinged by everything that passes by - from suitcases to skateboarders. - - IF I am picturing this correctly.

I know stiles, or 'solid' as you refer to it, may be subject to the same abuse - - but perhaps be easier to repair?
    At the onset the fragility of fine/sharp outside miters is what came to mind to me but as you say, these profiles are everywhere high and low throughout a home with details such as this and one cant be expected to trim a house for a family that moves through the place riding on bumper cars lol.

What an interesting problem. I like the wrap around raised panel idea but it is unconventional. Is the situation the same on the other side of the stairs? If it's not, then it's a no-go, IMO.

Given that the 5 3/4" on the landing from the corner to the door (6 1/2" with the trim applied) isn't enough to work with, you might consider matching that 6 1/2" on the skirt side of the corner and using that as the stile for the last panel.

Larry, your idea will work ok but needs to be consistent with the rest of the job. Cheets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Super crude render, with no panel profile or geometry. A decent photo realistic render from a scratch drawing may save you the cost of a mockup.
    panel.jpg
    As you can see from Mark's rendering, it's not just a simple mitering at the corner.