Thread: Will Adhesive & Paper dull bits?

Will Adhesive & Paper dull bits?

Does anyone know if routing through a glued down patten will dull a bit faster? I have always transferred the pattern with carbon paper, but the alternative sure would be a time saver.

Thanks in advance ...

Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Cox View Post
    Does anyone know if routing through a glued down patten will dull a bit faster? I have always transferred the pattern with carbon paper, but the alternative sure would be a time saver.

Thanks in advance ...

Floyd
    I have used transfer tape with no ill effects, but glue will most likely gum it up, not dull it but cause additional heat and which can cause problems. You might have to stop and clean the bit frequently.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I can't imagine it will . Unless you're using coarse sandpaper LOL Most glues are relatively soft as well. I glue up blanks with wood-glue or DunaBond ( like Gorilla Glue) on HDU or wood, & I rout them with no adverse effects.

Joe, can't seem to get a handle on what transfer tape is, can it be ran through a inkjet printer?

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Cox View Post
    Joe, can't seem to get a handle on what transfer tape is, can it be ran through a inkjet printer?
    Made for transferring plotter cut vinyl to the substrate, it's used often in my laser work. It has an easily removable adhesive similar to blue masking tape, comes in various widths cut from 300' logs 48" wide at a sign supply, or online at EBay or other sources. I have run it through and inkjet by applying to normal paper, then trim edges to the paper size, print, remove from the paper and then apply to the material to be routed.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green