Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PM 141 Acting Weird Lately - Ideas

Hi Mark,

I can tell that the Urethane tires are crowned. It was a bear to get the tilt adjustment perfect to keep the blade centered. It would move forward or backward on the wheel if I did not get it perfect. I may need to get rubber tires.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Blog Entries
    When that happened on my 14" Jet band saw I ended up buying new tires at a Rockler store on the Sowthwest Freeway, Houston. After I put them on, no further issues have cropped up.

This was at least 5 years ago. I had to nuke the tires in the microwave in order to stretch them to put them on the wheels.

It was fixed, no further problems have cropped up.

Threads look good!

OK, here is where we are:

1. Replaced Upper Wheel Bearings
    2. Replaced Urethane Tires with Glued on Rubber Tires
    3. Added a new Tension Spring
    4. Checked lower bearings - Did not require replacement
    5. Checked wheels coplanarity (is that a word?) Wheels are coplanar - although I dont know how that could play out exactly, considering that the tracking wheel tilts the top wheel and could take it out of being coplanar.

I had about 4-5 cuts that worked great and then all of a sudden, after finishing a cut, the blade jumped between 1/8" to 3/16" of an inch forward, out of the guides. While it did not come off of the wheel, it came very close. I retracked it, and noticed that when it is centered on the top wheel, it is sitting about an 1/8" forward on the bottom wheel. Tension stayed where it was set. I did notice that I had forgotten to set the lower thrust bearing. I would be surprised if that were the issue, but one never knows.

It is currently loaded with a 1/4" blade that has seen less than 15 cuts.

Any thoughts on why the blade would jump like that? I think that may be what I was experiencing all along. I don't like the idea of it jumping forward like that, especially if I load a 3/8" or 1/2" blade.

Thanks,

Brent
    Last edited by Brent Ring; 03-07-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Did you crown the tires or buy pre-crowned tires? If you are using un-crowned tires that could be the source of your issue.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van, I did crown them. I watch a video on the concept of aligning the gullet of the teeth on the blade with the center of the wheel. I am going to give that a try. I have always just centered my blade, but I am game to try something new. There were two very thin, bent washer that were sitting in a pile of sawdust when I took apart the pulley section near the bottom wheel bearings, on the pulley side. I wonder if those were some type of shim. They were bent over about 25% of the width of the washer.

I am wondering if they were there to shim the bottom wheel a little more straight. It was clear they did not work as a washer normally does.

How would you tell if the bottom wheel needed to be shimmed or not?

Well, the saw is back in action! I put a new Timberwolf 3/8" 4T blade on it, and followed guidelines to only worry about setting the gullets of the teeth on the center of the wheel, right on the crown. Got all of the guides adjusted to just barely not touching the blade, and cut a few pieces. Now working like I remember it before. Love that saw. Just wish it had better dust collection. Thanks to all of the advice. As always, I can count on 'Creekers' to help out!

Brent

Glad you got it figured out! BTW that looks like about a 5.8 pitch you are leading in your avatar?

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Glad you got it figured out! BTW that looks like about a 5.8 pitch you are leading in your avatar?
    Hi Van,

That is. "Turbo Fly" is the name of the route. Its down in Maple Canyon, near Freedom Utah. https://www.mountainproject.com/v/turbo-fly/106757333. In the winter, it ices up just to the left, and they ice climb on it.

I need to update my avatar. That pic was taken quite a few years ago, before a back surgery, and the 5th scope on my knee. I have not put on a harness since my back surgery, May of 2015. I miss it a little.

Do you climb?

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    Do you climb?

Brent
    Enough to accurately guess that was a 5.8 from the pic...

Not nearly as much now. I grew up trad climbing then moved to the cheating bolted stuff then on to mountaineering but the majority of the time I spent on the granite pitches of Western NC. Now I just take a trip or two a year, follow a rope gun up a few pitches and sit back and watch the new crop of hard men (and women) and drink a few. After the 5th funeral we attended my wife ask me to reconsider alpine climbing and I did but I usually do something like Ranier every year.