Thread: Question on Used Bandsaw for processing bowl blanks

Question on Used Bandsaw for processing bowl blanks

Have an opportunity to buy an older 2007 Laguna 16" bandsaw 3hp. The newer version runs over $3000 and I may be able to pick this up for less than $1000.

Anyone have any input good or bad on this saw based on your experience?

Does the price for this 10 yr old saw seem okay for saw or should I try to negotiate a better price based ony our opinions of quality o the saw?

Thanks
    Ricc Havens

Can't tell you if it's objectively a fair price, but I would certainly consider it seriously. That's a good brand. Well powered, and really not that old of a saw.

For bowl blanks, you want mass and power.

Love my Laguna 14" SUV I would buy another in a heart beat and unless this one has been abused I would suggest it is probably a real steal!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

They do make a good saw. Customer service still seems to be 'iffy'. I have had a 16HD 4.5 hp for 15 years maybe, and as long as the blade is sharp, it cuts through any thing, up to 16 inches high with no problems. I do prefer the ceramic blade guides to roller bearings. Sounds like a good price unless it is really beat up.

robo hippy

Thanks for the replies gentlemen! It looks like I'm going to go see it tomorrow. If it runs well then I will be able to buy it for $800

Thanks
    Ricc

I am fuzzy on the changeover date as well as not trusting a seller 100% to know the date of manufacture but there are three distinct ranges of Laguna 16" saws. The LT 16 3000 which is an Asian saw and likely too new to be mistaken, still a good saw and in good condition worth the $800-1000. The oldest version is the LT 16 made by Meber (Italy) with a 2.5hp motor, 12.5" of resaw and does not have the ceramic guides or a foot brake. This is a good enough saw and would be priced about right at $800 in good condition but $600-700 is a more buyer friendly price. The most desirable is the ACM (Italy) built LT16 HD which has a 4.5hp motor, 16" of resaw, ceramic guides and a foot brake. $800 for a working LT 16HD is a great price, a good price is more in the $1500 range and one in great shape is not a bad buy at $2000.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.