Thread: 1018 Grizzly Jointer

1018 Grizzly Jointer

Found this on Craigslist, I just dont think its for me. Seems a good deal, but have to get parts. Plus then dont know how it runs. Maybe if i could get it for $300. Its also about 2 hours away. Pulley is $7.50 from Grizzly.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/6004550636.html

based on the pic, not a clean shop, so either runs the hell out of the machines, or just doenst take care. Not sure.

SHELIX head is $436 too for this.

Could be a good machine all said and done for $800ish.

I had a G1018 jointer. Fine machine. If it needs work/scrubbing/rust removal, $300 would be a good price. It looks pretty nice.
    Even at the advertised price, get it before it's gone. Asking on here, it could be too late already. You have to jump as soon as you see it.
    You can get away with a single belt on it. Should have a 2hp motor.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I had a G1018 jointer. Fine machine. If it needs work/scrubbing/rust removal, $300 would be a good price. It looks pretty nice.
    Even at the advertised price, get it before it's gone. Asking on here, it could be too late already. You have to jump as soon as you see it.
    You can get away with a single belt on it. Should have a 2hp motor.

I looked at that myself-I think it is a very fair deal.

Its still in the back of my mind. I am also looking a PJ882 Parallelogram but would need to change out the motor on that to single phase.

Yeah, if I was anywhere near the seller that jointer would already be sold and on it's way to my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Its still in the back of my mind. I am also looking a PJ882 Parallelogram but would need to change out the motor on that to single phase.
    Just run a VFD

Quote Originally Posted by George Werner View Post
    Yeah, if I was anywhere near the seller that jointer would already be sold and on it's way to my shop.
    I could be there in an hour and a half, but I am saving money towards a bandsaw.

This looks like a pretty fair deal to me. He's priced it a little above what a good used 6-inch jointer usually goes for (they generally go for about $300 around here). And, the fact that he knows the pulley is cracked and needs replacing indicates to me that he probably takes care of his machines. I can't tell you the last time I looked at the pulleys on my jointer. At 1-1/2 hp it might be a little under powered but as long as you're taking light cuts it should be fine. I'd definitely test it out to make sure it runs smoothly. Check out the in-feed hand-wheel to ensure that part of the bed moves up and down smoothly. BTW, I like the idea of hand-wheels to adjust the bed. Seems to make things a little easier to adjust. If everything else looks good, I'd jump on it.

I had one with a helical head. It was fine. I would still be using it but I found a 12".

Unless it's a basket case 300 for an 8 inch jointer even with a broken pulley is a steal.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Just run a VFD
    Not to hijack my own thread, but yes, I am looking into that too. Gotta get the thing first, then worry about how to get it to run.

I will pass this guy selling the grizzly too when I pick up the 882, maybe I should swing in and offer 3 bills and see if he will sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Not to hijack my own thread, but yes, I am looking into that too. Gotta get the thing first, then worry about how to get it to run.

I will pass this guy selling the grizzly too when I pick up the 882, maybe I should swing in and offer 3 bills and see if he will sell.

Let me know how it all works out, and if you are ever in Columbus I will gladly buy lunch-I enjoy meeting other woodworkers. Good luck!

Hmmm...and as of this morning this thing is still for sale...