Thread: Bi-fold Hardware options - any good ones?

Bi-fold Hardware options - any good ones?

I'm looking to build and install 2 sets of 20" wide X 84" tall doors that the client wants set up as bi-fold. That's 4 panels in all - each 2 panel set to open a full 90°s or more to the opening. Will conceal a murphy bed.

He asked for Blums - but the combo of 170° and their bi-fold 60° hinge leaves the doors at angles too each other rather than flat.

I don't want to use the bi-fold closet hardware that many of us grew up with - tracks, springs, generally short time happiness solution.

The only option I see that could work is the Johnson 1601 "Full Access" Bi-Fold System that they offer. http://www.johnsonhardware.com/1601-...-door-hardware I could use the 30# option. THESE AREN'T PRETTY but they look like they would do the job well.

Does anyone have any experience with the Johnson set up? Are there better versions that I have yet to discover?

Thanks for any information /experience you can provide.

"... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I've used many Johnson products, pocket door kits and bi-fold kits. I've not used the full-access version, but plan to as part of my basement remodel project.
    Always been happy with their stuff. I usually avoid the lowest grade option (just on GPs not because of any problems), but have had zero issues.

Hafele system is excellent. Hang onto your wallet... Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Hafele system is excellent. Hang onto your wallet... Cheers
    Which one. I haven't been able to find one other than a one arm swivel to enable panels set up on 170° hinges. Very little info on that model.
    You know their catalogs aren't all that user friendly - and I have an account .

Do you have a part #? Please.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    Just a thought, why not use plain brass hinges and embed a couple of rare earth magnets in the doors to hold them against each other when folded and another magnet in the wood trim of the opening that aligns with a magnet in the door to hold the two doors against the frame when opened. A simple steel angle in the door opening would hold the doors closed using the same magnet that holds the center door to the outer door when folded.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Sam, I can't remember the part number and the job is 1100km away but it was Hawa branded. It has an aluminium top track, and is suspended from a 4 wheel carriage at the second door. Main door uses standard euro concealed hinges. It is smooth robust and doors end up flat against each other. You need to make a router jig but it is worth it. That catalogue is a mongrel. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Just a thought, why not use plain brass hinges and embed a couple of rare earth magnets in the doors to hold them against each other when folded and another magnet in the wood trim of the opening that aligns with a magnet in the door to hold the two doors against the frame when opened. A simple steel angle in the door opening would hold the doors closed using the same magnet that holds the center door to the outer door when folded.
    Hi Lee - Thanks for this - I'm a big fan of using strong magnets for door keepers. In this case though I have my doubts. This (by design of the client) is an unframed door opening - just fully supported 3/4" panels that he intends to overlay with the doors. I'm inclined to use piano hinges on the outside and inside panel. The client is expecting Blum 170° hinges but those are quite cumbersome and in fact don't open the panels flat to each other. The trick is how to guide the panels so that they come out with some degree of control and then return in the proper orientation. The magnet set in the center edges could work fine for the last aspect but I hate the trial and error implied with trying to make this work. This closet is for a guest bed. I think it needs to be idiot proof and so my question and reason for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Sam, I can't remember the part number and the job is 1100km away but it was Hawa branded. It has an aluminium top track, and is suspended from a 4 wheel carriage at the second door. Main door uses standard euro concealed hinges. It is smooth robust and doors end up flat against each other. You need to make a router jig but it is worth it. That catalogue is a mongrel. Cheers
    Thanks Wayne. I'll look it up. I'm reluctant to use a track system but no question the HAWA stuff is 21st century compared to the crap we used to use. Of course the price will match. I'm sure it will be nicer than the Johnson option I asked about.

More as it happens.

Any other ideas?
    WQJudge