Thread: RIP Stuart McLean (Vinyl Cafe)

RIP Stuart McLean (Vinyl Cafe)

Don't know if anyone here is a Vinyl Café fan (Radio program originating from Canada) but Stuart passed today after a year long illness. I really loved the humor of the show and the wonderful musical guests, and especially the Dave and Morley stories.

Here's the message that was sent out to his mailing list:

A MESSAGE TO THE VINYL CAFE COMMUNITY
    It is with deep sadness that the Vinyl Cafe family announces that Stuart McLean passed away today, February 15th, 2017, at age 68.We are heartbroken. But we are also finding comfort in memories of our dear friend. Stuart always emphasized that the world is a good place, full of good people, trying to do their best. He believed in people’s extraordinary capacity for love and generosity. And he had faith in our ability to work together for the common good. He was, in other words, firmly committed to celebrating the positive, joyful and funny side of life. Stuart assured us that even in difficult times, we can find things to be grateful for and ways to laugh. Now that he is gone, we will try hard to do just that. Stuart connected us – to our country and to each other. He entertained us, he made us think, he made us smile. Occasionally he made us cry. And, through all of that, he reminded us that life is made up of small moments. We never know which ones will be forgotten and which ones will stay with us forever. So today, and hopefully every day, we’re going to celebrate Stuart’s life by trying to make each moment count and by being grateful for all of them.We are certainly grateful for each and every moment we shared with Stuart. We will miss him.

I never heard his show, but it sounds like Mr. McLean was a pretty fine man. RIP.

Yes Stuart was one of Canada's national treasures and he will be missed by many. Guess you could say he was Canada's Mark Twain or Will Rogers.

Yes - I'm sad to hear this. He was a great story teller, music lover and ambassador for Canada. I have enjoyed his Dave and Morley stories immensely.
    Well worth checking these out on the net.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Not only great to listen to, but a wonderful performance in person! A real showman and a knack for dramatic pauses and expressions. He will be missed by many...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

RIP He was a class & classic act.

Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My wife was a frequent listener. even tuning into the reruns that were broadcast while he battled melanoma. RIP

-Tom

Not only did we see him every year that he came here, he was a family tradition going back years.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    RIP He was a class & classic act.
    That was pretty dang good! He just turned an everyday thing into something very funny. (With no cussing and nothing off color.) Thanks for posting that Bruce.

RIP Mr. McLean.

He certainly had a way of telling stories using a humorous tone.

Hi Rich, Stuart was an incredible story teller, we went to his Christmas Concert every year and own most of his books and CD's.

If you log onto CBC.ca Radio One today at 13:00 local time in Toronto, there will be a tribute to him.

Last night we listened to Dave and the Turkey, hard to imagine that such a part of our lives as Canadians is now gone..............Thanks for posting this...........Rod.

Bummer.

Polly Andreson's Christmas is a tradition for me.

Not only did we listen to him all the time, and go to his shows, (where he always brought out new talent) my mom was listening to him the night she passed away. I always smile, knowing she was probably laughing at "Dave cooks a turkey" when she passed. A family favourite.
    Paul

Ha Ha....turkey gravy dripping from the light fixture....I don't think I ever laughed so hard. That truly is a classic! I did get to see the show in person twice, once in Cleveland and once in Canada. Even though it was a radio show, he was so animated and delightful to watch.