Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Determining the radius on an early curved ornamental cabinet.

Not much progress to report over the last 48hrs. Been out of action with nerve pain in the lower vertebrae of the Cervical Spine. This morning I was able to dowel joint the feet to the lower base. The base was then fine tuned to plumb in both directions using a Wixey Angle Gauge and a sheet of Ink Carbon Paper. I am heading interstate on Thursday for a 7 day break. Further progress will need to wait until I get back.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-21-2017 at 3:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    The base was then fine tuned to plumb in both directions using a Wixey Angle Gauge and a sheet of Ink Carbon Paper.
    Many years ago I had a box of IBM carbon paper. I gave it to a friend who wanted it for a display in a local museum.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Ornamental Cabinet received its final coat of paint. Note the extra work that was done to prevent gaps from showing up between the fitting of the curved frames to their mating dais. I also applied some concentrated sanding over the top coat finish to try and replicate the natural wear that would likely have taken place after 60 yrs in service. The shelves and backing board wont be secured in place until after the curved glass panels have been installed. That's next on the to do list.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-08-2017 at 10:26 PM.

I take back my previous comment about the three hinges seeming out of place. It looks balanced with the three shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    I take back my previous comment about the three hinges seeming out of place. It looks balanced with the three shelves.
    Jim; the decision to use 3 hinges was based on structural integrity not visual appeal.

Work on the Ornamental Display Cabinet is finally completed.

Appreciate the interest,

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post

Appreciate the interest,

Stewie;
    Appreciate you documenting this work.
    Nice save.

Your welcome Joe. The Cabinet will be picked up by its new owner shortly.

Stewie;

Thanks Stewie.
    David

Well done, Stewie. Thanks for sharing the restoration. Glad it has found a new home.

Nice. I enjoy restoration work. I can bring a nice piece back from the brink, and go to school on how it was made. I like getting smarter.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Gents; this is the final new topic item I will be posting on this forum site. The timing is right for me to move across to http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworki...ndex/#m_483077

regards; Stewie Simpson.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-14-2017 at 6:48 AM.