Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Planer Thread - Grizzly

Another Planer Thread - Grizzly

I will order the Grizzly G0453Z or G0453ZW. I see very few differences, I could be blind.

What say you? I don't mind extra money for better options. Again, I know there is free shipping on the 453Z, not a deal breaker for me. What am Ireally missing on the differences of these two?

I see virtually no difference between the two. The Z has 74 cutter heads and the ZW has 72. The Z is on sale for $100 off and free shipping. Perhaps it is 2016 model and being closed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    I see virtually no difference between the two. The Z has 74 cutter heads and the ZW has 72. The Z is on sale for $100 off and free shipping. Perhaps it is 2016 model and being closed out.
    Yea, table length and widths different, head RPM different. Trying to figure out if it matters. The difference in table length and width has me thinking. Comments?

I think the "W" versions of several of their machines are the ones from the new factory(s). If I understand correctly they changed factories for a lot of their machines and closed the old ones out at lower prices.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    I will order the Grizzly G0453Z or G0453ZW. I see very few differences, I could be blind.

What say you? I don't mind extra money for better options. Again, I know there is free shipping on the 453Z, not a deal breaker for me. What am Ireally missing on the differences of these two?
    OK, isn't there usually a discount in the spring for Grizzly items?

Big question, any reason I should NOT order this planer, G0453ZW??? All inputs appreciated. No inputs, no problems with it, or it's older brother.

Thanks

See if you can determine if the outfield roller is smooth,serated or rubber.

I would always go for bigger tables. Makes it easier to feed longer stock. I have a several year ago iteration of that planer and love it.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Platt View Post
    I would always go for bigger tables. Makes it easier to feed longer stock. I have a several year ago iteration of that planer and love it.

Ken
    That's why I will order the planer mentioned. Thanks for the input. I will order when a discount comes out, or maybe before.

Any negatives on this planer?

Thanks

the 4553z has a serrated outfeed roller. i don't think you'll be happy with the finish. do a u tube search on the serrated roller.

I've got the 20 inch version that I converted to the byrd head. Haven't used my finish planer since - can't see the serrated out feed roller issue at all in mine. I think you'll be more than happy with the planer especially for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by larry senen View Post
    the 4553z has a serrated outfeed roller. i don't think you'll be happy with the finish. do a u tube search on the serrated roller.

I haven't called them yet, but how finished should the wood be when coming out of a planer? I saw the you tube videos, and it seemed like a simple sanding would clean up the marks.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

why would they use serrated out feed rollers? Doesn't make sense. I see the ZW has smooth out feed roller.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    why would they use serrated out feed rollers? Doesn't make sense. I see the ZW has smooth out feed roller.

I just found that. Rubber outside roller.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post

Traditionally it was dictated by use, rough (or sawmill planer) vs finish planer. That's why you see such a departure in design philosophy between say a Powermatic planer and an Oliver planer. Hobby level machines often have to balance the needs of both situations since few hobbyists will run two planers but may have need for both options.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have this planer. What I've found is that the serrated out feed only leaves marks when just barely cutting. If taking a decent bite, I don't see any marks. Can't explain it, but I've tested this and it always works out like that. The marks are minimal and easily cleaned up with a quick pass with a sander.