Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steady Rest Build

Steady Rest Build

Well I decided to build a steady rest for my lathe. I G.O. Ogled and found several designs. I liked the look of the one that Steve Schlumpf uses so I went with a version of that. I used some Oak that I had and the rind is 2 x 2 laminated. The base has a locking knob to secure to between the lathe ways. It sits pretty solidly in place when locked down. I ordered some rollerblade wheels. I didn't realize they light up when they turn, but it should make for some psychedelic turning..... I'm working on the arm build now. I think I'm going to make them able to swing so I can adjust the location of the arms. You can see my pencil marks where I'll create an angled dado. I'll create an arc'd groove for the locking knob so I can swing the arm up and down. I think it'll give me some good flexibility with the wheel location. Below are some pics so far. I also added a pic of my new DVR motor attached. I will finish it, paint it and show completed pics.

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg
    USMC '97-'01

It is looking good. I think I would have lapped the joints in the corners when making the laminated ring. I am not sure having the "arc" cut for the arm will work well. The arms need to go toward the lathe center and have the resistance to movement along that direction. If there is slop side to side with the arc cut, that may weaken your arrangement. Just some thoughts.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    It is looking good. I think I would have lapped the joints in the corners when making the laminated ring. I am not sure having the "arc" cut for the arm will work well. The arms need to go toward the lathe center and have the resistance to movement along that direction. If there is slop side to side with the arc cut, that may weaken your arrangement. Just some thoughts.
    Thanks for the input on the arc cut. I was not sure about it and haven't made the cuts yet. I didn't know if some flexibility in where I could position the arms would be beneficial or if they just need to line up with center. I visited your site after reading your comment John. You do amazing work, and you website is very professional looking too.

Adam
    USMC '97-'01

Definitely go for the center and with a rigid structure.
    C&C WELCOME

Thanks, Adam, for the kind words.

Adam, I know it is a little late but if here's a link to the one I built.
    https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.../lathe-steady/
    Works great but would be better with a few minor modifications!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Thanks for the link Pete, I'll read through it in depth tonight.

Two votes for rigid arm structure centered....I will most likely do that then. Glad I got this posted before I did any cutting for the arms!!
    USMC '97-'01

Adam - looks pretty good so far. Another vote for rigid arms! I actually glued/screwed some oak strips alongside the arms on my steady so that they would not move off center. Doesn't take much to move an arm if you are turning a form that is drying/warping as you go!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve,

I'm planning on dadoeing the arm slots so they can only traverse in and out. I have the cuts all laid out, just need to find the time to make them. I'll post updates as I go.

Adam
    USMC '97-'01

Done

Steady1.jpgSteady2.jpgI'm pretty much finished here. I got it painted today and mounted it with just this dowel to see how it centers. It works good so far. I'll have to play with it more to give it a better test run. Here's two pics of it, one sitting idle and one spinning to show the wheels lighting up. I'll have to get a strobe light and turn in the dark. Kidding.
    USMC '97-'01

Looks like it belongs on the Nova with the coordinated paint job!

Looks pretty good Adam! Just throwing something out there to think about - but if you reverse the mounting of the two lower wheels, you would be able to use all 4 supports at the same time.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Looks pretty good Adam! Just throwing something out there to think about - but if you reverse the mounting of the two lower wheels, you would be able to use all 4 supports at the same time.
    Thanks! That's a great idea Steve. I just through a spindle on there to see how it spun, but if I ever do use it for the small spindle work I'll have to flip them. I didn't realize the wheels were going to overlap like they do up close.
    USMC '97-'01

Depending on what you are turning - you can adjust the wheel positions such that they are opposing - such as an X. I would think that would provide all the support you would need.
    Steve

Very cool. Lots of innovation. I'm completely impressed.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson