Thread: I couldn't resist...Ready2rout

I couldn't resist...Ready2rout

Not that I tried too hard. My local Rockler had a Ready2rout computerized router table that had been a demo unit. It is apparently discontinued, and they had it marked down from about $1500 to $889. It included everything but the router, with metal stand, phenolic table, computer router lift, computerized fence, all the optional apps, and even locking wheels. It comes with a 1 year warranty.

I am not a computer person, but it intrigued me, and I went home and watched the videos I could find on the interweb. I really liked the fact that it is self contained and you just deal with a small touch screen, without having to interface with a laptop. I have a big PC router to use, and I decided to see if they would discount it any lower. I talked to the manager, who was very cordial, and told him I was interested, and it was worth $500 to me.

He said he could not sell it for that, and the price was his cost, and had already thrown in some extra options. He told me the head office would have to approve any lowering of price, so he would call them for me and let me know. I thanked him, and left to get some lunch and go home. In the middle of my polish dog, he called me and told me the head office had approved the sale.

The manager spent about an hour showing me how it works, and I asked if he had the manual. He told me it was on line and he would give me the web address. Not only did he do that, but once on there, he offered to print it out for me. Turned out it was 50 pages long. Once printed we looked it over and found it only covered the router lift. There was another manual for the fence, with 120 pages! And me a computer idiot.

The $500 really was all it was worth to me, and I was surprised they took my offer, but it was taking up space, and they had only sold two or three in about 3 years, and was discontinued.

On the videos, they show it making dovetails, box joints, dado's, and it figures out how many to put on any width board automatically, as well as centering them. One of those optional apps makes pocket holes, which means the bit rises as the fence moves at the same time. Don't need that, but it is cool that it can do it.

Should be interesting. New toy.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-16-2017 at 2:49 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Looks like effectively it is a computerized fence positioner and router lift (bit height positioning). Should be pretty cool to play with. Enjoy and Congrats!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Sounds like you got a very, very good deal on an interesting tool setup. I'm sure you'll keep us in the loop with how things go with the learning and what you make with it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very cool! I agree it will be interesting to mess around with. We'll expect to see a video or two here!

Rick, you're killing me.

I just purchased one at Woodcraft for $999. And mine is just for the Ready2Rout Fence and lift, not the other stuff.

Still waiting for it to arrive. Have been waiting a few weeks, with the company being cagey with Woodcraft about availability. They told Woodcraft that it was going to be shipped earlier this week.

I'm a little concerned that it was discontinued. Any rumors that it is being replaced by a newer, improved model?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Sorry Alan,

All I know is from reading the company's website. I asked at Rockler if there was another one in the pipeline, and they didn't know either.

Like I said, I couldn't resist at that price. I hope your setup works out well.

If yours has not come yet, perhaps you could call Rockler and Woodcraft stores and see if they have a demo unit. You might get lucky, since Rockler management has already approved selling them off.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Congrats on the purchase! I bought the fence used a couple years ago locally for $250 and then added the lift a few months later. Just a quick thing to keep in mind that might be obvious but might not. You must have power applied to the fence/lift whenever you are using the router table. The lift only locks it's height position when power is applied, when you remove power it will start to lower itself when you begin running wood through it.

Doesn't it stay plugged in and powered all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Doesn't it stay plugged in and powered all the time?

I have mine plugged into a switched outlet so I can turn it off when not in use. When it's powered up it makes a distinct humming sound that I got tired of hearing all the time.

George,

I sure would like to know how you use it, what you make, and your likes/dislikes.

Perhaps a review of it....please.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Mine arrived late yesterday. After I get the time to install it, I'll chime in too with my thoughts. Wasn't the simplest thing to order, but finally arrived.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.