Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tea House Chair - Back and Arm Rests

Blog Entries

Tea House Chair - Back and Arm Rests

Good morning! I've been moving along on the tea house chair, saving the table for future posts once the chair is completed.

Please have a read, and I look forward to your comments.

I'll note also, that I intend to stop posting on various forums when I make a weekly update. I plan to instead only post maybe at the start and end of a project, if you would like to follow along with my weekly updates please visit the blog directly.

I feel I'm imposing upon the forum by posting my weekly updates in a specific thread for each one, I appreciate that many of you do enjoy that but it's time for a change.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-17-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Very nice work as per usual Brian. I assume you will have a short spindle on the front end of each arm though, right, otherwise I'd be very concerned about breaking either the armrest or the corresponding support spindles.

Blog Entries
    Indeed, there will be a support, though it will be more involved than a spindle. In attempt to have a more modern appearance than a Windsor chair I've decided to make a molded shape for a support.

Thank you!

Yes, beautiful work and blog. I too would appreciate some insight on the connection between the armrest and the back spindle and what may be added to the front of the arm for support to prevent a lever.
    What type of glue do you use for laminations like this? Thank you,

Blog Entries
    Thanks Edwin!

I did cover both of those topics. The arm support will not be revealed until it is created in entirely, I don't have a specific plan just yet, only an abstract.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Indeed, there will be a support, though it will be more involved than a spindle. In attempt to have a more modern appearance than a Windsor chair I've decided to make a molded shape for a support.

Thank you!
    That might be a very nice way to go. A simple spindle isn't the strongest for lateral forces although its fine for vertical loading.

Blog Entries
    I agree completely, I think a single spindle makes for a wobbly arm in the future.

Nice work!

Out of curiosity which plastic resin glue did you try and what didn't work about it? I ask because I've seen suggestions to use Urea-Formaldehyde glues for bent laminations, typically based on the argument that they're more flexible and resilient and therefore better for bent forms.

Brian, as always, pretty awesome. I also think that the blog format is much cleaner and easier to navigate (another 'at-a-boy', lol). Thanks for sharing - I can't wait to see the arm support!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Brian, as always, pretty awesome. I also think that the blog format is much cleaner and easier to navigate (another 'at-a-boy', lol). Thanks for sharing - I can't wait to see the arm support!
    Yep, another +1 for the format.

BTW I just checked and it appears that "brianholcombeaxemurderer.com" is still available, in case you want to branch out. Just saying...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Yep, another +1 for the format.

BTW I just checked and it appears that "brianholcombeaxemurderer.com" is still available, in case you want to branch out. Just saying...
    I'll keep that in mind as I start to purchase broad axes....they're multi-purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Nice work!

Out of curiosity which plastic resin glue did you try and what didn't work about it? I ask because I've seen suggestions to use Urea-Formaldehyde glues for bent laminations, typically based on the argument that they're more flexible and resilient and therefore better for bent forms.
    I tried wood weld, and I have no honest complaints about it, my glue lam separated mostly because I used material that was too heavy. However, my major complaint with powder glue is that it requires me to get the mixture right, something I am lousy at. I mixed to the recommended amount but gut instinct was that it was too thin.

I had a few people comment that they've had fine luck with Titebond III for glue lams, and also for outdoor purpose and so I decided just to go with something I've had more experience with. I've also had a table outside, with that involves multiple glue ups and it's been left out uncovered for 5-6 years. It's pretty basic and honestly under-built and still it doesn't flinch at 3' of snow or being in sunlight for the majority of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Thanks John!

Glad to hear from both of you that the format is improved. The menu bar still needs my attention, I'd like to have drop downs like the previous format, but I felt the top bar on the previous format was cluttered looking, so I'm glad to do away with it.

It also annoyed me that the tagline would be on the right hand side of my name, which I thought was very strange. I like it centered under the name as it is now.

Of course I had to pay money for this format, which also why it took me so long to move from a basic free format....lol.

Thanks Edwin!

I did cover both of those topics. The arm support will not be revealed until it is created in entirely, I don't have a specific plan just yet, only an abstract.
    Well I was quite sure you were heading somewhere interesting with the armrest and I was trying to fast forward. But if Martin Scorsese is going to keep us in suspense, I will just have to stay tuned!

Glad to here you are working on the arm. As soon as I saw the picture the lower side of the arm just jumped out and gave me a slap. The rest looks terrific. Nice to be able to follow the build on your blog.
    Jim

I tried wood weld, and I have no honest complaints about it, my glue lam separated mostly because I used material that was too heavy. However, my major complaint with powder glue is that it requires me to get the mixture right, something I am lousy at. I mixed to the recommended amount but gut instinct was that it was too thin.
    I measured with a scale the few times I worked with Urea-Formadehyde. It seemed to work fine, other than friends asking if the scale was for measuring drug deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    But if Martin Scorsese is going to keep us in suspense, I will just have to stay tuned!
    Surely you meant "Uwe Boll".