Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Timo

Nice saw - Holzkraft have some nice equipment - I suspect that it will be all the bandsaw you need for quite a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    But it does not make sense to me that imports would cost more, unless there is an import tax of some sort...
    Michael - there is a an import duty (certainly in the UK) and the price also suffers because of the difference in relative market size. I can't speak for the mainland of europe but in the UK we genarally pay in pounds not far off what you guys pay in dollars. I have before now purchased items in Florida, that were made in Sheffield for less than I can buy them in Sheffield. Go figure?

Niels,
    the Bernardo and Holzkraft bandsaws are the same machines, only a few details differ. They are also very similar to the Grizzly machines, so i do think they come from the same factory. I am not sure where the factory is, but i'm guessing Taiwan. Bernardo (used to?) source machinery from Bulgaria.. maybe i can find out when i have the machine. Does someone know where the Grizzly G0566 is manufactured?
    It looks like Bernardo has a bit nicer guides (hard to judge from a catalog picture) but Holzkraft has a laser cut line indicator and nicer paint job. The motor may be different, too (Holzkr. rated 4kW, Bern. 3.75kW).

Sounds like you made the right choice then

Just a quick newbie question from a guy who's never used a bandsaw:
    Why did you choose such a big beast ?

I mean - what jobs do you have to do that needs a saw with this size ?
    From what I've read here, all that you usually use a bandsaw for is:

- curved sawing
    - resawing of wood before jointing/planing
    - joints (large tenons/dovetails etc.)

I'm not trying to get you to justify why you bought this machine - I want one too!

/Niels

Niels,

resawing at a reasonable speed and with repeatability requires a big saw with a big motor. See the "am i asking too much of a 14" saw" thread.
    I want to do quite a bit of resawing, and i want to use the saw to make boards from "firewood" logs.
    I asked Hema (the bandsaw mercedes) about ripping on a bandsaw with large cutting height, and they said it comes down to blade selection and first of all power. Anything below 3kW won't cut it, is what they told me.
    I also plan some projects which require curved cuts with large cutting height, almost 30cm.
    Also want to do dovetails etc on the bandsaw. I think this will become my primary saw, as my TS has a small table and weak motor.

Cleaned the shop a bit today to make room for the saw. Also built a small storage rack for planes and saws.. you'll get pics in the shop tour when the bandsaw is here.

Timo

Nice Timo! I've been using a large bandsaw in a class I'm taking, and I'm thinking I'll probably upgrade my badsaw now before I upgrade my tablesaw. I probably won't upgrade either for a while, but the bandsaw just moved up on the list ahead of the table saw when it does happen.

It's really nice to have a bandsaw with power and size.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Christian and all,
    i found out where they make the Grizzly, Holzkraft, Bernardo bandsaws. It is in Taiwan, the company is called OAV Equipment. Link: www.oavequipment.com
    Unfortunately my saw didn't arrive yet, the shipping company messed up somewhere.