Thread: Pleasently surprised by my Air Compressor

Blog Entries

Pleasently surprised by my Air Compressor

All my tools have been in storage for over a year including the compressor. I was messing with it yesterday and found that it is still under pressure. Nothing leaked for a year. There was no pressure gauge because the regulator died a long time ago and I had it piped to a regulator on the wall. I just had a quarter turn valve on it. When I opened the valve, I heard a gentle 'pssssssss'. I have one of those Harbor Freight auto bleed things on the drain and that didn't leak.

I'm really impressed. Not bad for a Husky compressor bought 10 years or so ago from Home Depot.

I'm hoping mine will be the same way, although I did bleed it and make sure it was empty before I put it into storage almost a year ago. I still have to go get it once I get my new outside shed built for it.

Blog Entries
    I was always taught to keep a little pressure in pressure vessels. I think it goes back to my SCUBA days when you are taught never to let your pressure go to zero for moisture reasons or something.

I have a new regulator coming tonight. Once I get that on and working, I can place the compressor and then think about piping. My last shop was all copper. This time, I'm thinking of Rapidair. Copper pipe is $1 a foot at Home Depot and that doesn't include elbows and stuff. I can get a simple RapidAir system for $75 and be done with it.