Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly planer and jointer spiral cutter head bolts

Grizzly planer and jointer spiral cutter head bolts

Hello,

Wondering if anyone else has rotated there spiral cutter heads and broke the torx bolts? I would like to order replacement bolts, but I am unable to find them from any other place than grizzly. I would prefer not to order them from grizzly at $1/bolt, as I would like to have enouph replacement to replace all of them.

Anyone found a supplier that sells these?

Thanks,
    Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Letkeman View Post
    Hello,

Wondering if anyone else has rotated there spiral cutter heads and broke the torx bolts? I would like to order replacement bolts, but I am unable to find them from any other place than grizzly. I would prefer not to order them from grizzly at $1/bolt, as I would like to have enouph replacement to replace all of them.

Anyone found a supplier that sells these?

Thanks,
    Dan.
    If grizzly sells them, then someone makes them for them.

Try Grainger?? McMaster Carr?

Try Fastenal

Tried McMaster. I couldn't find anything on there website that came close. Seems like it might be custom bolt of some kind.

I would suggest to anyone doing the change on there spiral cutter head to under tighten the bolts when putting the cutter heads back in. I used a torque wrench set to the specified inch/lbs and I was snapping every other bolt. It seems they are made of very weak material.

Just came from Fastenal. The guy said he had never seen a bolt like that.

What model Grizzly are we looking at?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    What model Grizzly are we looking at?
    G0453PX and G0490X. Both take the same cutter heads and bolts.

Looks like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan,

Do a search using flat head, M6-1 screw. The one's for the G0490X are a flat head Torx T-20 M6-1 x 15 mm.

Here's a bag of 100 at Grainger. They are 1mm longer at 16mm. Grainger has them at 14mm length too. https://www.grainger.com/product/CAM...0-x-16mm-5YRK1

These are allen head but I'd use them.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-16-2017 at 1:55 PM.
    Ken

I replaced the link in my previous post for one that works.

Here's another at Grainger at $11.50 for 100. https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...0-x-16mm-4XY97
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-16-2017 at 1:57 PM.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I replaced the link in my previous post for one that works.

Here's another at Grainger at $11.50 for 100. https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...0-x-16mm-4XY97
    Thats definitely more reasonable in price. But, I think the head will be too large. This is what the salesman at Fastenal noticed as well. The head on this bolt is almost half the size it normally would be.

Try this from McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-head-...crews/=16drwdb

Using this link, scroll down to "Metric Tamper resistant Torx head screws".

It may be time to pay the $1.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-16-2017 at 2:09 PM.
    Ken

That screw has an undercut head making it an undercut flat head screw. Fastenal does have them in SAE sizes but if it's metric I don't know where to get them. I work in the fastener industry and can call one of our metric houses tomorrow to see if they can point me if you can say it's an M4 or M5 as opposed to a #8 or 10

Mark....the Grizzly manual for the G0490X says it's a M6-1 x 15.

Dan...the McMaster Carr data on the Torx Tamper resistant shows a head width and height measurement that you could compare. Those are also Stainless which might be an advantage?
    Ken

I'll make a call tomorrow and see if I can turn any up. We deal primarily in set screws but our supplier should know of any around.