Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly planer and jointer spiral cutter head bolts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Letkeman View Post
    Looks like this:
    Search for "Spare Screws for Spiral Head Insert Knives" at globaltooling <dot> com. They are still 88 cents each. They also have the inserts for under $3 each and have sold them in sets at a greater discount.

Insert Screw.JPG
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-16-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Big question, why are they breaking off? This is unacceptable. I'm thinking of buying a new planer with a spiral head, but if I have to pull out a broken bolt every time I need to replace or rotate a cutter...........

Everyone/anyone else have this problem with Grizzly?
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 02-16-2017 at 3:45 PM.

I haven't had any issues on my G0490X.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

McMaster has just about every fastener, it's just a matter of finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Furjanic View Post
    I'll make a call tomorrow and see if I can turn any up. We deal primarily in set screws but our supplier should know of any around.
    Thanks for this.

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Big question, why are they breaking off? This is unacceptable. I'm thinking of buying a new planer with a spiral head, but if I have to pull out a broken bolt every time I need to replace or rotate a cutter...........

Everyone/anyone else have this problem with Grizzly?
    They all broke in the undercut section just under the head of the bolt. The threaded part of the bolt was threaded all the way into the head, but these bolts are manufactured with a very loose tollerance to the threading in the cutter head. Each time one broke I could turn it out by hand.

When I was tightening them, I could tell which ones were going to break. Felt like the bolt turned into mush half way through tightening them.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Search for "Spare Screws for Spiral Head Insert Knives" at globaltooling <dot> com. They are still 88 cents each. They also have the inserts for under $3 each and have sold them in sets at a greater discount.

Insert Screw.JPG

This is close and would probably work. The original is undercut below the head. Not sure why.

Tried McMaster. I couldn't find anything on there website that came close. Seems like it might be custom bolt of some kind.

I would suggest to anyone doing the change on there spiral cutter head to under tighten the bolts when putting the cutter heads back in. I used a torque wrench set to the specified inch/lbs and I was snapping every other bolt. It seems they are made of very weak material.
    What torque wrench are you using and what torque value? Byrd specs 50-55 INCH pounds; what does Grizz spec?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    What torque wrench are you using and what torque value? Byrd specs 50-55 INCH pounds; what does Grizz spec?
    Not sure what model it is, and if I remember correctly the grizzly manual said 50 inch pounds. I had it down to 30 inch pounds so they wouldn't snap off.

Interesting thing is that I never snapped a cutter. The bolt broke instead.....you think it would be the opposite.

Not sure what model it is, and if I remember correctly the grizzly manual said 50 inch pounds. I had it down to 30 inch pounds so they wouldn't snap off.

Interesting thing is that I never snapped a cutter. The bolt broke instead.....you think it would be the opposite.

What is the min/max range on your wrench? 30 inch pounds is screwdriver type torque, hard to imagine you are shearing off M6 screws at that low of a value. I'm suspicious of the torque wrench at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    What is the min/max range on your wrench? 30 inch pounds is screwdriver type torque, hard to imagine you are shearing off M6 screws at that low of a value. I'm suspicious of the torque wrench at this point.
    Its just a small one. Goes up to 80 inch pounds. I did suspect that as well, but a lot of them worked with no problem. I probably broke about 10 of 72. I suspect the bolts that broke were faulty.

I had multiple snap on me when rotating also. That smaller head to be recessed in the cutter really limited my options so I just gave up and got 25 from grizzly and that leaves me a bunch extra for the next time. The one good thing is when they do break off its really no big deal to remove them.

Here is a source for them possibly. Kennametal is top of the line if any are correct.

mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Indexable-Cutting-Tools/Indexable-Replacement-Parts-Accessories/Fasteners-For-Indexables/Screws-For-Indexables?navid=12107166

They all broke in the undercut section just under the head of the bolt. The threaded part of the bolt was threaded all the way into the head, but these bolts are manufactured with a very loose tollerance to the threading in the cutter head. Each time one broke I could turn it out by hand.

When I was tightening them, I could tell which ones were going to break. Felt like the bolt turned into mush half way through tightening them.
    Is this everyone else's experience?

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I had multiple snap on me when rotating also. That smaller head to be recessed in the cutter really limited my options so I just gave up and got 25 from grizzly and that leaves me a bunch extra for the next time. The one good thing is when they do break off its really no big deal to remove them.
    Good to hear it was not just mine that did this. I agree its quite easy to remove them if they break. I guess I will just get them from grizzly as I have no spares left now.