Thread: Interior Divided Light Doors

Interior Divided Light Doors

I just finished building and installing 3 divided light doors. This rectangular one was made to fit into an existing jamb, and is about 32" wide.

And these arched French doors were installed in what was prior an open archway. They are each 36" wide.

The wood is rift sawn Sapele to come close to what I think is Philippine mahogany in the existing doors and trim work. The tempered glass is called "rain".

John

John, I always enjoy seeing your work. Nicely done, sir.

John...they look GREAT!!! I love the curved top doors especially!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great looking doors. The workmanship is super and the finish looks top notch.
    I have the same style of interior trim in my house. An old two story farm house. I really like the outside corner trim. Very well done.

Beautiful!!!

Blog Entries
    Excellent work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Seriously impressive work! Any photos from the build process or a description of how you cut your arches?

Allow me to pile on. Fantastic, inspiring work.
    Chuck Taylor

They are nice and obviously of a quality above catalog stuff; I remember the thread on tooling . Looks like it worked well. Since the arched opening was existing I'd like to point out a missed opportunity by original builder. Even though the arch was an extra feature ,it is too short and can't claim proper dominance over the other door. But I've seen a lot of that in new work; no matter how carefully planned ,made ,and marked the millwork is ,the carpenters often fancy themselves interior decorators and don't follow drawings. This point is close to the current thread on the handling of arched cabinet doors. Again: just a good place to illustrate a possible "upgrade" and I would not be surprised to hear that John made the same point...and the OWNERS butted in !!

I was thinking the other way. When all doors are open, aesthetically, all the lines line up.

You are right, but traditionaly vertical overall and component height indicate importance. The straight stiles on the fine feature piece are shorter than the other opening. In formal earlier mind sets that would be a "mistake". Today there is emphasis on democratic matching. I'm sure that wherever there is a formal carved and guilded room next to an open closet ...there is someone wondering why they don't "match". I've seen very strange things drawn up by modern architects
    and have learned that they can be contemptuous of sugestions ....and embarrassed and uncharacteristicly grateful when what looks like a mistake IS a mistake. I make sure that "mistakes" are intended and will BE PAID FOR; but otherwise
    dont offer changes.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-10-2017 at 3:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Seriously impressive work! Any photos from the build process or a description of how you cut your arches?

Thanks, and to everyone, for the kind words. I have a pretty detailed photo album of the entire build and installation process: https://goo.gl/photos/q5ngDCzo8YmgDmj8A

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    You are right, but traditionaly vertical overall and component height indicate importance. The straight stiles on the fine feature piece are shorter than the other opening. In formal earlier mind sets that would be a "mistake". Today there is emphasis on democratic matching. I'm sure that wherever there is a formal carved and guilded room next to an open closet ...there is someone wondering why they don't "match". I've seen very strange things drawn up by modern architects
    and have learned that they can be contemptuous of sugestions ....and embarrassed and uncharacteristicly grateful when what looks like a mistake IS a mistake. I make sure that "mistakes" are intended and will BE PAID FOR; but otherwise
    dont offer changes.

I am glad the owners didn't ask me to increase the height of the doors. Cutting into the side jambs was no fun at all; not only corner beads but also metal mesh was in there, which all had to be removed. The arch was formed by two pieces of plywood, one on each side of the wall, spanned and wrapped by the same metal mesh. I could not find a single stud between those pieces of plywood; maybe there was a horizontal one somewhere, but certainly there were no vertical ones. Cutting any of that away would have been a real mess and I likely would have done significant damage to the fragile plaster which would not have been easy to repair due to its texture. I was able to carefully hammer away the plaster on the arch where I needed clearance for the new jamb, w/o having to cut into the mesh and plywood above.

John

14. Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Thanks, and to everyone, for the kind words. I have a pretty detailed photo album of the entire build and installation process: https://goo.gl/photos/q5ngDCzo8YmgDmj8A

John
    Many thanks for the photo epic! I just learned a lot.

Extremely impressive...Love the workmanship.