Thread: G1029 - Huge dust problem

G1029 - Huge dust problem

So I had a thread last week about upgrading my G1029. For the meantime I just purchased a 2.5 micron bag from Grizzly until I can get around to doing a separator and such. Anyways, I just put the bag on and it lets a huge amount of dust through the bag and in the air when I'm using it. Enough that it filled the room it's in with a huge dust cloud.

Is this normal for a 2.5 micron bag? Does anyone know of a better bag I can get for this because Grizzly doesn't seem to have anything else?...
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    So I had a thread last week about upgrading my G1029. For the meantime I just purchased a 2.5 micron bag from Grizzly until I can get around to doing a separator and such. Anyways, I just put the bag on and it lets a huge amount of dust through the bag and in the air when I'm using it. Enough that it filled the room it's in with a huge dust cloud.

Is this normal for a 2.5 micron bag? Does anyone know of a better bag I can get for this because Grizzly doesn't seem to have anything else?...
    I'm glad to see this post. Some folks run 5 micron bags and think they are doing OK; not likely.

American Fabric Filter will make you a bag that is actually correctly sized ;-) Good for down to 1 micron which is still pretty big. I only use my bagger on the jointer so it does OK. This just saves me from running cyclone duct all the way over to that area.

G1029 Bag.JPG
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-16-2017 at 5:03 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It's normal. They do get better the more the dust cakes onto the side of the fabric, but still not great compared to the media Glenn refers to or a good filter cartridge

This was an insane amount of fine dust. My old harbor freight collector didn't put this much out. I thought there was smoke coming out of the room at first. The old bag that was on it was a really old Jet bag that didn't fit correctly so I thought I was going to be doing good by going to this one. My air compressor is in the same room as well as some paint sprayers and such and I have to figure something out because I can't get that much dust going everywhere.

Thanks for the link Glenn, I'll definitely check that out.

I had something like 20 micron bags at first on my old Delta. It was terrible. It got chips but actually made the fine dust, the dangerous type, worse. I put shaker felt bags on first, they were much better and then a cartridge. I use a shop vac with a quasi help filter at the moment but if I put a DC in my current shop I am planning a super dust deputy and discharging outside (the shop is not heated or cooled).

I cyclone with a filter prevents you from having to clean the filter all the time. The dust deputy on my shop vac does remarkably well with even fine dust but you still need good filtration. If I discharge inside, I would get another cartridge. It was not that expensive and the bags were not that much less.

I think I'm just going to spend the weekend doing a baffle. I can't wait long enough to order a custom bag. They said 2 to 3 weeks... Wish me luck!

Blog Entries
    Large bags do get costly and small bags inflate like a balloon and put tremendous back pressure on your system. Cartridge(s) allow more media in a smaller space and I would definitely compare prices between bags and cartridges because they can get close. My big bag goes straight up an unusable corner so it worked out for me. Whenever the bag starts to hold its shape (like a balloon), I put on a respirator, take the bag off, go outside, turn it inside out and shake it. In that respect it is a lot easier to clean than a cartridge. You will have to judge which will work best for your situation but, both a properly sized bag and a properly sized cartridge will bake a big difference.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn. After doing some cost research (another post I made a few days ago) and time constraints because I can't shut down while waiting for a cartridge to get here or a special made bag, I ordered a Super Dust Deputy XL and it should be here Saturday along with a 30 gallon container and I'm going to do what I didn't want to and vent outside to do away with bag or cartridge completely. I didn't want to because it would have blown in my neighbors yard but I'm moving the DC and compressor around to shoot it out the side so it will be ok. Gonna be a busy weekend.

Joe, I think you made a wise decision. Dust Deputies do a great job. I love mine. Venting outside may cost you some heating/cooling problems, but it will solve your dust in the air problem. Lets hope the neighbor doesn't complain about the wood smell in the air or the super fine sawdust that may fall on his picnic outing. I vent outside too, but my shop is hundreds of feet from my neighbors.

Charley

Thanks Charley, looking forward to getting it setup. The direction I am venting won't be an issue for the neighbors. They hardly ever go outside, I just worried with where the DC was before that if they were outside, they would see it and hear it, but now it will blow completely opposite over the woods and there's enough bushes inbetween that should block any dust from ever reaching anything of theirs.

I don't have a heater, live in Savannah Ga and we only have 17 cold days a year haha. But yeah I am worried about the A/C. Good thing is I only turn it on for a minute or so at a time so hoping it doesn't draw out too much cool air in the summer when it's 110 outside.

I'm just North of Charlotte, NC, so my Weather isn't much cooler than your's. I use a window style 2 ton heat pump, mounted high and thru a hole in the North wall of my shop. I found that a 12 X 20 X 1 furnace filter would fit under the plastic cover and completely cover the evaporator coil, so I buy the high quality pleated filters with the most pleats/surface area and my heat pump also functions as my shop air filter. My shop is insulated and only 14 X 26' in size, so the heat pump does a pretty good job most of the year. The heat pump will hold 75 degrees up to about 100 outside, but I have to run it 24/7 on "those 95 + days". It also runs, set on the lowest temperature setting for most of the Winter to keep my batteries, paints, stains, and glues happy. Right now the outside temp here is about 40 at night and 65 to 75 in the day time. The coldest it usually gets to in Winter is about 15. The hottest in the Summer has been about 110, so not that much different than you.

With my small shop I don't have much space for dust collector piping. I plan on installing a 4" system with a Super Dust Deputy to handle the heavier dust producers, but I've been using a re-purposed Whole House Central Vacuum with a small Dust Deputy ahead of it and it exhausts to the outdoors. I do a lot of scroll sawing and sanding, and for the past 2 years this system has been doing a great job for this. The vacuum is in the shop attic and I have the inlet ports on each floor as well as one outside for vacuuming my cars, trucks, and box trailer. I do my planning outside and collect the chips in a barrel. The Unisaw collects it's sawdust the old fashioned way, in the cabinet, and I shovel it out every few months. I use the Central Vacuum for just about every other tool though I have to move the hose to each tool as needed. I'll need to double the size of my 6 X 6 air compressor shed that's outside and attached to the North Wall of my shop to add the bigger dust collector, and when I do, I'll likely move the Central Vacuum out of the attic and locate it in this new ground level space as well. The North wall of my shop where the air compressor and future location of the dust collectors will be located, faces a lake, so there are no neighbors in that direction for about 1/3 of a mile, except for the geese, and I don't care if the noise and dust irritates them. It will be partial payback for the mess they make. So far, I have emptied my 25 gallon steel dust barrel under the Dust Deputy 3 times and haven't found anything in the Central Vacuum receptacle or it's filter. The Dust Deputy is working great, one of the best investments that I've made in a very long time..

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 02-17-2017 at 9:53 AM.

I don't have any type of heat. Never have felt a need for it but I also prefer the cold. The heat here, on the other hand, is another story. Biggest problem is I'm right on the coast, literally a half a block down the road is the ocean. So the humidity here in the summer is almost 100%. Just a window unit in the shop and it does an OK job. Need to add a second unit. My main shop is 16x20 and I have a 10x16 addition. The A/C is located in the back and cools the back section down pretty well but not the front.

The DC and air compressor were located in a room closed in on the back section but after looking into all this, I'm building an additional 9x4 room starting this week outside to hold them so I can gain that 4 foot back of the back of my shop. Really looking forward to this and to getting the Dust Deputy setup.

I recently picked up a lightly used 3 hp Grizzly dual bag DC (for $250). Because it is huge for my already overcrowded shop, and to minimize the fine dust I must breath, it seems that the best thing to do would be to install it outdoors. So the noise doesn't bother my neighbors I'm thinking of building a sound deadening enclosure in which to house and protect it from weather. If there is any interest in this I would be happy to share the details, once I begin.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

The room I am going to build is going to be in will be insulated and should be pretty good on sound. It will probably be better insulated than where it's at now so if they don't complain about the sound now, I don't think they will in the future. I have one neighbor behind me that's a good 70 yards away and has a nice spray foam new house that never hears anything and the one I was worried about with the dust has a nice brick home with updated windows and the room it's in will be on the other side of the corner that faces their yard so the shop itself will be a barrier for the sound from them. My shop's in a pretty good location at the back of my yard so doesn't bother anyone fortunately.