Thread: Orange Birch Birthday Gift

Orange Birch Birthday Gift

This White Birch bowl was turned as a birthday gift for our neighbor, Linda. She and her husband Dennis belong to our local golf & country club and 2 years ago Dennis called informing me that the golf course had just dropped a large white birch tree and if I wanted any of the wood – come get it because they were just going to run it through a chipper! That happened in late April and as is typical in the U.P. there was still a lot of snow on the ground even though it was raining when I went to get the wood. Grabbing a truck load of extremely heavy chunks of wood was a very cold & wet experience but that is another story best told over a few beers! When I went to turn this bowl, I found out through my wife that Linda’s favorite color is orange. Orange? Why?

White Birch, 8.5” (216mm) diameter x 3.75” (95mm) high x 5/16” (8mm) thick. Dyed orange using red & yellow Transtint dye mixed with DNA. Multiple coats of gloss wipe-on poly, buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax to help protect the finish.

Orange_Birch_1.jpg Orange_Birch_2.jpg Orange_Birch_3.jpg Orange_Birch_4.jpg Orange_Birch_5.jpg

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

2. Nice curve to the bottom, and I like the inward sloped rim. Georgeous color. You have not lost your touch, Steve!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice,and love that color. Sinatra's favorite color was orange

Looks great. Good Job!!

Yep, it is ORANGE!! This is signature Schlumpf - always exemplary work.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Well done! nice shape visually appealing.

That's a dandy, great job on it. I love birch, unfortunately down in Southern Wis. it's pretty rare. I can get European birch but it's not as nice and clean as paper birch. I'm always surprised with how heavy wet birch is compared to how light it is when it drys. It must contain a lot of moisture.

Great color Steve. I also use the transtint as it colors without hiding the wood grain.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Great job Steve! That orange dye really gives the grain in the birch a deep and rich look!

Looks great and maybe she is from Tennessee and a UT fan.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Thanks for the comments everyone - I do appreciate it! Got a call from Linda, who was not home when I dropped off the gift. She absolutely loved the bowl and thanked us numerous times for thinking of her! When it comes to turning, can't ask for anything more than that!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Thanks for the comments everyone - I do appreciate it! Got a call from Linda, who was not home when I dropped off the gift. She absolutely loved the bowl and thanked us numerous times for thinking of her! When it comes to turning, can't ask for anything more than that!
    Beautiful Steve. The thank you's and appreciation is what makes woodturning special for me.

beautiful piece Steve, great shape and form

I like it Steve! The color came out well, just enough to be tasteful, but not enough to overpower.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”