Thread: Segmented Vessel

Segmented Vessel

This is my latest turning. It's 10" Diameter x 13" Tall
    DSCF1900.JPGDSCF1896.JPG
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Really nice job Ed, as a fellow Carolinian and Segmented Turner ... your work is inspirational.

Very nice work. Do you hollow as you go along?
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Very nice work. Do you hollow as you go along?
    Yes, I hollowed each part as I went, The top was made and hollowed separately.

Very nice! I really like the way you did the lower half. When I see work like yours I want to run to the shop and get started. 15 years of turning and I've never done a segmented piece.

JKJ

[QUOTE=John K Jordan;2659900]Very nice! I really like the way you did the lower half. When I see work like yours I want to run to the shop and get started. 15 years of turning and I've never done a segmented piece.

JKJ[/QUOTE I haven't been doing segmented turnings for very long. One of the reasons I started doing them now is because they use less wood and my shop is filled with small scraps. The other reason, for me anyway, is they take longer to do and I'm running out of room for my turnings. Our house is filled with them.

That is a very nice piece of art. I have not done a segmented turning yet, but someday I will. I really like the form and wood choices. What woods did you use? Just curious as to how long it takes to do something like that?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Love the piece. Laughed out loud at the can of beans next to this marvelous work. I know it was for scale, but I found it humorous.

Beautiful Ed. I imagine you have to have a good eye and know how to plan these segmented turnings out, just to visualize how they WILL turn out once turned. Maybe someday.....
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    That is a very nice piece of art. I have not done a segmented turning yet, but someday I will. I really like the form and wood choices. What woods did you use? Just curious as to how long it takes to do something like that?
    The center ring is White Maple, Cedar and Walnut. The main body is oak.

Beautiful piece Ed.
    Some day, I'm going to give that a try
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Fantastic

Ed

Fantastic segment HF. Did you do that on your home made wood lathe and use your great hollowing tool?

Beautiful vase.