Thread: Manufacturing Date of an OHIO Plane?

Manufacturing Date of an OHIO Plane?

I have an OHIO 04 that was my grandfathers, and would like to know the approximate manufacturing date if possible.

I think they stopped making OHIO planes about 1922, or at least read that on the web somewhere, if my memory is correct.

When I started working on it the iron and chip breaker were Stanley, didn't fit correctly, and could not be made to work on the plane as was. The tote and associated hardware were also gone. I don't remember about the lever cap, and the one on it fits and works, but seems a little too short, but it may be correct, I can't remember how I got it, and so do not know as to whether it is the correct one or not. It may have been on it when I got it, and thus could be an early Stanley LC. I know a lot more about the early Stanley Bailey plane than I did when I was working on the OHIO, so will have to look at the LC again to see if it fits what I know about the early Stanley LCs.

I found all OME parts to restore the plane, and because it was my grandfathers I went to way too much trouble and expense to restore it. Thus, as far as I was able to correctly identify parts I got the original parts for the plane. (I need to snoop further about the lever cap.) I think I did get all of the parts right (Lever cap an exception?), however, because the parts all came off of old OHIO planes, but the type of the part may or may not match the type number of the plane I have.

The question is, can the date of manufacture of the plane be approximated, given the only parts that I know to be the correct vintage of the plane are the body of the plane, the knob, and the frog? On the other hand I have been able to find out very little about the OHIO planes, so there may be nothing out there to help me out.

I have guessed it was made between about 1900 and 1915 or so, since it does not have the Stanley type of frog adjuster screw assembly, and the frog position has to be adjusted manually by taking off the lever cap, iron/chip breaker assembly, loosening the frog hold down screws, and physically adjusting the frog. I assume almost all of the American plane manufacturers went to the Stanley frog adjustment mechanism just as soon as the patent expired, so thus I date the plane as being made prior to that, but don't know.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Is there enough information out there that I can date the old plane?

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-16-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Until 1913, they were made in Ohio....Columbus, OH, right along the Scioto River. Of course, there was the Flood of 1913.......They later were part of Auburn Tool co. And even started up a factory in Charlestown WV......

Stanley was going around, buying all who were makings planes and other tools......Union was about 1920......I think Ohio?Auburn was soon after that. Stanley would use up all the parts in their inventory, then close the factory down...

At least that was what I have been told.......

In the post on Metal Ohio planes started by Adriaan, Tomi posted a photo of his OHIO plane. My plane looks identical to the photos Tomi posted, with two exception I list in the note which immediately follows the post Tomi put up.

Stew

IMAG0054.jpg0-7 iron
    With the Globe logo
    0-7 shavings.jpg
    Front Knob..
    test drive.jpg
    Rear view, IF you need other views, let me know. The banner on this one reads "OHIO"

I think later ones had a "Thistle" Brand stamp.

Don has collected little bit info at one place. Like you could see, there are quite little sure things.

http://www.timetestedtools.net/2017/...ft-type-study/

There is also some info at the forum.

http://timetestedtools.forumchitchat...-co-04-8401009

I am interested at those too. So if someone could dig something new up, I am of cource interested too.

One point was, that it was rumoured that Ohio made very first Keen Kutter planes too. Maybe dating those could help also deting Ohios. It could be interesting to see under the frog of those. Is those what type or is those totally different. I have good example of that. Some time ago, I bought Lakeside No 5 plane. I made little bit comparison and I was quite sure it is same plane than last type Union planes. Only logos was different. And after that I found picture at Montgomery wards catalog where was Union x-series plane with Lakeside brand logo.

I've posted everything I have found so far on the Ohio. Sellen's wrote a book on Keen kutter so you should pick it up if you're interested in Keen kutter. At this point it seems if the number is identical on the plane, then the Vintage is probably the same with Ohio planes.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

More pictures, IF it will help out..
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Mine was put to work, today..but..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    No. 0-7, smooth sole..
    DSCF0005.JPG
    And the frog...
    DSCF0006.JPG
    Handle and adjuster.....I double checked the iron, no taper, and the banner across the Globe says OHIO

I do have an 035....it's iron is tapered. But it is an Auburn Tool Co. Thistle Brand logo...

Tomi, Steven, and Don,

I have a very early Keen Kutter plane. That plane has an identical body to my OHIO planes (I have two I think), and the parts interchange. However, there are two differences. The Keen Kutter has a checkered type lever cap. My guess is that the lever cap is likely identical to the OHIO transition plane lever cap, but have not taken the time to look. The checkered lever cap is at the very least similar in style to the lever caps of other transition planes that I have seen. At first I thought that my Keen Kutter was a Frankinplane, but I saw photos of two others on that auction site that had identical lever caps and thus concluded that they originally came that way.

The other exception is that the Keen Kutter plane has a thin iron more in keeping with the thin irons that Stanley was using at the time.

My OHIO plane also has the thick walled adjuster wheel for the iron, as some of the photos show, and the knob is similar to the one on Stevens plane and Tomis plane. The horizontal adjuster lever is shaped like the ones in the photos also. The actual adjuster, where it contacts the iron, is simpler than the one shown on Tomi's plane and Stevens plane, it does not have the round spinning type wheel on it like the adjuster on the other planes. This makes me think that Stevens and Tomis planes are later ones, and mine is earlier.

For those reasons, I had concluded quite a while back that at least the early Keen Kutter planes were made by OHIO.

Thanks for the links, very helpful and interesting information. One interesting thing is that I have not seen any photos of one of the OHIO planes that have the name "OHIO" behind the frog and in front of the tote like my plane has.

Right now I am guessing that my plane was made before the flood that destroyed the OHIO factory, but after planes that the sites date 1905 and 1906. At least that is my best guess at this point.

Edit Update: There is an OHIO on sale on that auction site that is and 04, and has a patent date on it of 3 20 07, and it clearly has a frog adjustment set up that is somewhat similar to the Stanley type. The casting of the base, however, holds the machine bolt head, so it was clearly made to do the same task as the Stanley, but at the same time avoid Stanley's patent. This is the only one of this type I have seen, and Stanley may have sued and beaten the patent, who knows. Interesting.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-17-2017 at 3:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    This thread has been of interest to me.

One thing in particular is the toe screw on the tote of a #4 size plane. A few years ago there was a broken #4 size plane at a yard sale that came home with me for 25¢. It also had a toe screw on the tote. The iron was a tapered Stanley blade. I'll have to look and see what was done with the all of the parts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

How are you feeling? Doctor talking like letting you back in the shop in a couple of months?

I did have to edit a couple of the posts just now, because of errors I found after carefully reviewing more of the photos in detail, and noting errors I had made at first.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Jim,

How are you feeling? Doctor talking like letting you back in the shop in a couple of months?

I did have to edit a couple of the posts just now, because of errors I found after carefully reviewing more of the photos in detail, and noting errors I had made at first.

Stew
    Thanks Stew, I am feeling much better now and am back in the shop butchering wood. Did have a bit of a cold for a few days this past week. Mine has cleared up, but Candy seems to have it now.

Trying to get past the paralysis of analysis on a couple of projects.

Also trying to figure out how to get money out of my retirement account to pay for new roofs on the house and shop. A lot going on.

Maybe later tonight I will compose a piece on how there are certainly some low circles of Hades reserved especially for lazy web site designers and computer programmers.

I was especially put off by one labeled "SAVE" that when clicked erased all of my inputed information and made me start over before the page decided to time out.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)