Like many woodworkers I got my start on a Shopsmith and over time moved up to dedicated, more powerful machines. I sold my SS 520 a couple of years back and the buyer wasn't interested in my Jointech Smart Fence & some extra parts which I kept.

Recently I needed to profile some cabinet door parts and came up with this simple but effective use of the obsolete Jointech system which was the model for the Shopsmith 520. The center piece of my setup is a portable stand that ironically was made out of the ends of a older Shopsmith (however any table will do) which I added a SS tool rest which mounted a leftover SS end section (with the "legs"). The SS section had the SS mounting rails to anchor the Smartfence assembly. I simply cut a 2x4 and drilled holes to accept the SS mounting tubes and locked the assembly in my shop vise. The working height is adjustable and is determined my the table and tool mount. Once the working height is determined I just lift up the 2x4 end and drop it into my vise to lock the table. I find that this is more stable and a better working height than when I had it mounted on my old SS. Utilizing the long tubes I have space to add an extra floating table (not shown in photos) which gives me a larger work surface for large doors or table tops. As you can see it disassembles and hangs on the wall. Set up takes less than 5 minutes. All of the extra parts (rails, end table & tool mount) had been acquired from eBay several years ago for a modest price. The end table must have the same rail system as the Jointech (you can't mount the SS 520 on SS 510 rails).

I realize that I'm probably a unique woodworker that would have the Jointech Smart Fence and extra SS parts laying around but perhaps this tip might be applicable to someone.

IMG_1402.JPG IMG_1410.JPG IMG_1411.JPG Sorry for photo alignment but I couldn't control how they are oriented!!!