Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If I ever take on glass engraving again, smack me...

If I ever take on glass engraving again, smack me...

About this time last year, did a glass engraving job. Something we don't do, awards. It was a pain in the butt then. Small text, letters not appearing, then magically appearing (if you have engraved glass, you know what I'm talking about), all the "fun" things that go along with glass engraving. Really fought that job back then.

A call came in about a month ago, people wanted to do the same thing. Great, I have all the settings (still in my job control software), I have all the fixtures. Okay, we'll do it.

Ordered the glass. First delivery date of the glass to us. Missed. Called, sorry, it's going out in a few days. Missed that. Called again. Got new date. Missed that. Finally got a tracking number, stuff is due in Thursday afternoon. Comes in, great, we have a whopping 1 day to get it done unless we do it on the weekend. Thanks for that. No ability to screw something up and get some more in, only a couple of extras. Great, thanks for that too. Nothing like the pressure of having no way to replace the items and figuring it all out at the same time.

Engrave the first one. Not even close to working. After 2 hours of working on the same sample, trying to get a good, clean mark on small letters, I went home, way past quitting time. Great, I'll pick it up in the morning with fresh thoughts.

Wrong. 3 hours later, I finally get the magical combination of settings and technique figure out. It's now 10 hours later (or something like that) and I'm still working on the stupid things.

If I EVER think about taking a glass job to engrave, someone, please, do me the favor and smack the back of my head and ask "what are you thinking?".

Have I mentioned I hate glass?

I hate glass.

(where is that brochure for that sand carving setup????????)
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I feel your pain! I still do glass, but it's a pain.

I have a couple of clients that love a certain award
    what the bigger problem with this award (it comes
    from a very good vendor) but the faux wood spray
    on the base is usually bubbled or chipped.

This is the ONLY product I have removed from my
    inventory becuase of it's consistant poor quality.

I guess I'm not the only one with the ("magic disappearing letters)
    I do stick to block fonts on glass and look at it carefully while
    positioned on the table and run it a second pass any more than
    that the piece is trashed.

With the profileration of lasers you think someone would have
    come up with a glass formula that is consistant for our application..

I do alot of those crystal globes that Marco sells, I guess these are hand finished because the bases
    are rarely square so you waste time testing to get everything centered
    as possible. It takes more time to square evrything also as I haven't
    been able to find a clamp and leveling system that was reasonably priced.

So I do feel your pain!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

In a word - sandblast!

There are some people who swear by lasering glass, I'm not one of them. I started sandblasting 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I have done glasses by the hundreds and stone from marble-size up to a 2300lb slab. Get into sandblasting, you'll never look at glass and stone the same way again!

Gary

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    If I EVER think about taking a glass job to engrave, someone, please, do me the favor and smack the back of my head
    And your preference would be...

Option A:

Option B:

Option "B" for him!
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W
    Universal VLS4.60 50W
    Universal M-300 50w
    ShopBot PRSAlpha48
    Techno LC4848
    Oneway 2436

No really Steve, option C will do you just fine!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

ok, now that I read about the missing letters, I'm curious.
    I hadn't read it anywhere before, and I thought I was going crazy.
    (still a possibility, I know)

I did the same piece three times, and it was always fine on screen, but
    that same letter refused to show up on the glass. I never knew why.
    What causes this?

Chuck, it has to do with that section of glass not fracturing like the other areas. You can take something sharp, a pick or something, and touch it and some times it will pop and instantly appear. Like you have released that surface tension that's holding it back.

I'll take option B or Frank's option. Either one is fine. 12 hours on that project yesterday. I think I might have made $2 per hour once the smoke clears
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

For me sand blasting is definitely the best, it leaves an open surface which looks a bit like a mountain range of peaks and valleys. Laser etching, on the other hand can boil the glass and create a semi closed-cell structure which looks like a series of minute spheres, some broken, some not.
    It is curious but some of the laser etched glass items that I have done seem to be hygroscopic, they can change their contrast ratio with changes in humidity - really weird.

Paul.

Blog Entries
    Steve,

I'll gladly take your glass jobs... done quite a few and never had a problem
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Great Dan, I'll bring you the file and some samples and if you want it next time around, you can have it.

I'm done with it. Never again.

I just glued my last piece of glass to it's base, the UV light is curing it now, then it's off to the customer.

Blog Entries
    I'll have to borrow that UV curer, though

The first order we got at my new shop for glass, someone brought in some of those stemless wine glasses from target. They are horrible for the disappearing text. Went through the whole job and it looked like maybe 3 or 4 letters showed up. Opened the hood and it sounded like the glass broke. Looked down, there's all my engraving. Scared the hell out of me.

Just curious, what's the speed and power do you use and are you doing vector or raster?

I never had any problem with glass. Well, I lied, we blew up a beer in the laser machine at a convention while vector cut our logo with too high a power setting, lol.

Tong

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TONG LI View Post
    we blew up a beer in the laser machine at a convention while vector cut our logo with too high a power setting
    Ouch! Not only a party foul, but a machine cleanup and embarrassment factor, to boot...

EDIT: I find the timing of this thread somewhat amusing considering I'm currently working on my book's chapter on glass processing...