Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Paper Bags

Brown Paper Bags

Where does everybody get brown paper bags?All my local grocery stores use plastic and what I see on line are not big enough to fit a 16 x 5 or 6 bowl into.Guess I can put a couple together if needed.

Sonny,
    I use the leaf/yard clipping paper bags from big box stores or Sams for big bowls

I use the leaf bags too. In fact, they are huge, much bigger than most anything I make so I will cut multiple "bags" out of one and tape the ends shut. Most are two ply too, so I suppose you could pull the liner out and double your bags too, though I haven't tried that.
    USMC '97-'01

Charles Ive looked everywhere but there and Ive got a Lowes within 6 miles that has them.Hope I don't get no dumber.Thank You

Sonny, I guess I'm lucky, we still have one grocery store that you can pick either paper or plastic. So naturally, I will take the paper. I keep a good stock on hand for when I need them.

I just wrap mine (for drying) in old newspapers-----I've had minimal issues with cracking.

The paper acts as a slow venting or absorbing of the water in the green bowls. Sponge maybe. So, you can take your bowl and put it in plastic bags, but use some thing else to absorb the excess water. If you don't absorb that water, then that is when you get rotting and/or mold. You can use news paper, dry wood shavings, or even brown bags to absorb, then change the 'sponges' out every day or so. Heck, you probably could use sponges. One source of paper bags can be seed/feed stores or if you have friends that feed the birds. Most of those bags are paper.

robo hippy

Wal-Mart has them for 35 bucks for 400 with free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/General-S...259#about-item

I get mine from Trader Joe's grocery.

Everyone's shop environment is different so what works in one location might and probably doesn't work in another. I gave up the paper bags scenario after losing a couple blanks. Too easy to forget changing bags every 2 day 4 hours after completing 3 back-flips and 7 hail marys. I just anchorseal inside and out and put them on the lower level wire rack and forget about them for a year. Never lost one doing this but then your mileage my vary.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Our grocery store uses Paper bags, the liqueur store also uses paper bags, but mine came mostly from the KFC outlet, and have been used over and over.

As they will absorb the moisture that’s in the inside of the bag’s air, and then the moisture that’s in the paper bag, is absorbed by the air on the outside of the bag, it is ongoing in a slow system of drying till the inside and outside air of the bag is equal.

When stuff is added into the bag, it will lay or sit against the wood and the air can not wick the moisture away, thereby creating a damp condition that will be right for mildew growth.

A sponge can take up a lot of water if you squeeze it while in the water, and then release it, just have it sit somewhere, it won’t absorb much of anything.

A bowl sitting in a brown paper drying does not need daily attention, just in the first week or two have a look to see if there might be mildew growth, if so. wipe the bowl dry and place the piece it in a dry paper bag.

I have used newspaper sheets, for bowls that were too large for any bags I had, but found that this paper did not work well or like the craft paper bags. so unless I could not get or use craft paper, that’s all I ever used.

Oh ja, people live mostly in houses and have similar if not identical conditions, so a cool place in the house with no draft or heat is a good place to set your bags, worked for me for many years perfectly.
    Have fun and take care

For years around here every time we bought a case of beer ....it had to be covered by a nice clean new unfolded brown paper bag before leaving the store. Don't know if it was strange custom,or actual law.

I just get a roll of kraft paper from the box store, and cut off enough to cover the bowl. It is the same as the paper in the paper bags, and easy to get. A full roll will last a long time.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

A cardboard box with the lid folded closed (i.e., with a small opening at the top) works as well.

I get them at Ingles grocery store. They use the plastic bags, but have paper too. You just have to ask.