Thread: Thin translucent material

Thin translucent material

Wondering if anyone can head me on a search for a thin translucent material to line some back-lit lamps with? Preferably something available in a few colors and that may have some texture/milky/swirl type deal? Looking for something that would look similar to rice paper or something to that effect when back-lit. The material is going to be cut into solid shapes (mostly squares and rectangles) and going to be back-lit with either incandescent or LED bulbs?

My google searches are coming up empty but Im sure I just dont know the correct product to search for.

I would try some cellophane from a hobby store.
    Just be careful as to how hot the bulbs are because it will melt easier than some other things.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Oil on paper for translucence is a method that goes back hundreds of years. But what paper and what non messy and non smelly oil?

Thanks guys. Were affraid cellophane or gels are too thin. Papers are an option (smelly oils or not lol) but wondering if theres a more turn key solution.

Mark, I imaged Googled textured translucent plastic sheet and came up with a good assortment.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Mylar does come in translucent. It may be something to consider.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 02-18-2017 at 1:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Mark, I imaged Googled textured translucent plastic sheet and came up with a good assortment.
    Thanks Bruce,
    Thats the search I was wading through. We have some samples on the way but still not really anything I think will work

Years ago,maybe 1960s ,they made a lot of lamp shades out of an almost smooth transluscent product that had a lot of swirling threads. Might have been fiberglass. It's possible that material is still made for a primary use outliving the lamp shades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Years ago,maybe 1960s ,they made a lot of lamp shades out of an almost smooth transluscent product that had a lot of swirling threads. Might have been fiberglass. It's possible that material is still made for a primary use outliving the lamp shades.
    I think I remember that material pretty well. Not fumbled across it yet. You talking the stuff that kind of looked like thin, sinuous, hide,.. with dark fibers?

Yeah, I'm guessing it's main feature was just more durability than cloth or cardboard