Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curved range hoods...

Looks good. But I don't like contact cement because it is short lived compared to other glues. Ask the people who make it.
    When I've done that ,gotten answers not exceeding ten years for flat work. I like Italian bending ply and UF glue. Easy to use even without vacuum bags. We've clamped up stuff with a bander.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Looks good. But I don't like contact cement because it is short lived compared to other glues. Ask the people who make it.
    When I've done that ,gotten answers not exceeding ten years for flat work. I like Italian bending ply and UF glue. Easy to use even without vacuum bags. We've clamped up stuff with a bander.
    I've never heard of Italian bending ply. The 1/32 veneer has no stressors that should affect its longevity. The MDF is UF glued and screwed to the ribs. The only thing with MDF, as mentioned, is its porousness. I apply a liberal coat and let dry, then coat like doing a countertop. If it fails in 10 years, I'll fix it for free.
    -Lud

Blog Entries
    I think when I stopped building cabinets it was $125-$150 a foot for unfinished cabinets. It was average around here. I would give a base price and if they had more to spend we upgraded. I found customers like it when they have more control of the total cost on upgrades..

Commercial is around $300-350 base,upper and laminated top. But that's another story...

I think I missed the UF part ,sorry. Italian bending ply is just a different name for the stuff Jamie mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I think when I stopped building cabinets it was $125-$150 a foot for unfinished cabinets. It was average around here. I would give a base price and if they had more to spend we upgraded. I found customers like it when they have more control of the total cost on upgrades..

Commercial is around $300-350 base,upper and laminated top. But that's another story...
    I'm charging $171.30/ft for base cabinets. That doesn't include doors, drawers, finished ends, finishing, delivery, or installation. Just a box with a shelf in it.

A flat panel door is $47.25
    a drawer up to 32" wide is $119.70
    if you want a paneled front for that drawer, that's $36.75
    Flat panel, paneled ends are $12.59 per sq/ft
    If you want any of that inset, it's $10.50 per piece.

I have no clue what my stuff is per ft as a complete unit. I figure everything on a per part basis. If you want justin, I'll send you a copy of the spreadsheet I use for pricing.

I did find some pictures of one hood before it got skinned.

Last edited by Martin Wasner; 02-18-2017 at 8:12 PM.

The interior after being skinned and the sawdust/glue bog smeared on.

Not a pro, but did our kitchen cabinets and it was the first (and only) time I build such. It took me two days to build and another day to install!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?227362-Cabinets-and-lots-of-them&p=2380965#post2380965

hood.jpg
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 02-18-2017 at 8:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm charging $171.30/ft for base cabinets. That doesn't include doors, drawers, finished ends, finishing, delivery, or installation. Just a box with a shelf in it.

A flat panel door is $47.25
    a drawer up to 32" wide is $119.70
    if you want a paneled front for that drawer, that's $36.75
    Flat panel, paneled ends are $12.59 per sq/ft
    If you want any of that inset, it's $10.50 per piece.

I have no clue what my stuff is per ft as a complete unit. I figure everything on a per part basis. If you want justin, I'll send you a copy of the spreadsheet I use for pricing.

That's way over priced for this area. That was the pricing in 2007-9. It was comparable to local shops..

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Not a pro, but did our kitchen cabinets and it was the first (and only) time I build such. It took me two days to build and another day to install!!
    I followed your thread and enjoyed it! I love that you did the doors and trim and cabinets yourself. It was quite an accomplishment and turned out beautifully. I don't remember if I commended you in your thread, but it was well earned.

Martin - those prices just wouldn't fly down here. I can not overstate enough the low income and low standard of quality where I live. Every job I measure I take a level so I know if the walls are 1/4" or 5/8" out per FOUR feet.

Scroll up and look at the crown in the oak cabinets I posted. The floors were out 1-1/4" in 6 feet. I told the homeowner, you want the cabinets level or to follow the floor? I had to build a stand for the dishwasher so it could screw to my top stretcher of the cabinet. She chose level (at my prompting). If her cabinets didn't go to the ceiling I could have hidden the floor's problems.

I'm building a 3200sf shop, office and paint room for under $65K down here. Economies of scale.
    -Lud

I have been using the "Stitch and glue method",I find it alot easier than framing it out with ribs.

Thanks Justin. My plan was to build the doors but I decided to buy them (built everything else though). Very wise move. I had too many things going at the time (building passage doors, entry door, trim work, etc).

We only do sheet metal.Almost always to match lighting finish.Takes about a day to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Neu View Post
    I have been using the "Stitch and glue method",I find it alot easier than framing it out with ribs.
    I have no idea what that is. Please elaborate.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    I have no idea what that is. Please elaborate.
    http://www.marcadams.com/available-c.../projects/1191 ,I took this class with David Orth (that's me with the green shirt in the 1st picture),it's a very easy way to make curved pieces.It's also alot stronger than you would think.

That's cool. Now I just need 4 days to get away.
    -Lud