Thread: Need a "different" way to mount Excalibur overarm guard

Need a "different" way to mount Excalibur overarm guard

I just acquired a new Excalibur overarm blade guard for my Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw (photo shows what the guard looks like).

The guard requires a minimum of 40" to the right of the blade in order to bolt the boom arm directly to the saw. I have short fence rails and a cast-iron router table on the right side of the saw, so bolting the boom arm directly to the saw isn't really going to work for me. And I don't want to cut into the boom arm (make it shorter).

Looking for another way of mounting the boom arm. I'm thinking maybe I could build the boom arm into some kind of mobile cart. Then, when I need to use the router table on the right side of the saw, I can just wheel the Excalibur out of the way. Could this work? I'm guessing I'll have to put some bricks in the bottom of the cart to counter the weight of the boom arm so the cart won't tip over.

Thoughts?

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason White; 02-18-2017 at 3:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    How high is your ceiling? You might be able to mount it off the ceiling if you never move your saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Jason just an idea but would it be possible to mount the router table on the left side of the saw and then install the guard on the right ? I have an older version of the excalibur fence and it is dependent on the 45 degree brace arms underneath the side extension table and the whole table -saw connection for stability. Not sure if the "cart" idea would work or not. That being said there is only one way to find out.Good luck, Mike.

So.... I found a solution. I sold my new Excalibur and just ordered a Shark Guard with dust collection port. Not the perfect solution, but I really don't have much room in my shop for a giant overarm blade guard anyway, nice as it is.