Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60 vs 80 gallon air compressors?

60 vs 80 gallon air compressors?

I'll be putting a new air compressor in my new shop this spring. My current compressor is a two cylinder, single stage 5 Hp, 80 gallon model from Home Depot. I've had it for about ten years and it's worked fine for my shop. I'm using it for an HVLP conversion gun, some cabinet sandblasting and running my 5" Dynabrade air sanders. The compressor keeps up reasonably well, but it does cycle a lot when running the sanders or sandblaster.

I'm planning on upgrading to a two stage, 5HP compressor in the new shop as they put out considerably more CFM than a single stage. I'm looking at BelAire, Quincy and IR units, and I noticed the 60 gallon models have similar specs to the 80 gallon models, but they seem to run about $500 or so cheaper than the 80 gallon units. All of them are 5 HP, two stage.

Obviously, spending $1200 vs $1700 on a compressor is pretty attractive, but I'm a little worried about the reserve capacity of the 60 gallon models.

A 5 hp two stage is still just OK for sanders and blasters so a bigger tank is better. If you don't give the air some time to cool from the compressor, you will need more drying capacity. I have a Quincy QR 325 with a 100 gal tank. About $800-1000 used plus a little work. Much more quiet than new ones. Dave

If you go through a lot of air, and air sanders and grinders are two of the hungriest tools, you need as big a tank as you can get. I'm running a 5hp 80 gallon IR and don't think I've ever run out of air, but I don't do a lot of air sanding or grinding either. My biggest air hog is finishing, but I haven't had a problem.

I would look at the eaton compressor 19 cfm at 100psi at 60 or 80 gallons more tank less cycles, made in the USA and 5 year warranty. And it's no tax unless your in Ohio this compressor is very quiet for the size of them we have a 10hp in an open shop and does not bother me and can talk normal with it running. You can also get in your choice of color and Even custom colors also if you don't like the motor there using they have different options. The compressors are built for each customer.
    Last edited by Doug Filo; 02-18-2017 at 7:33 PM.

Like Quincy, Eaton oversizes the pump so it can run more slowly. That reduces the sound considerably. They are assembled in Ohio from parts sourced elsewhere. The pumps are not USA made but at least are cast iron. I believe Saylor Beall are still made here as are the higher end Champion and Curtis but all the under 2K ( or even 3k )compressors are either sourced from China or Mexico. A quality cast iron compressor pump with good valves costs in the 3-5K range by itself. That is why the old compressors still sell for about what the new low end ones do. Dave

OK, an 80 gallon it is. I'll take a look at the Eaton and Quincy models.

Dave

Any way you can run two in parallel?
    A new 80 gallon and your existing 80 gallon would be quite the reserve volume of air.
    If nothing else, keep your old Home Depot Unit and as use it as an air receiver, if you don't intend to use it any longer.
    I have a Rolair 5HP, 60 gallon. It's pretty nice also. The Quincy's gets really good reviews though.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I know are 10hp 120 gallon compressor pump is stamped made in USA but I'm not there and can't remember also call eaton and talk to a sales person they will customize anything you want you could get a 120 gallon tank you want. The warranty you have to use there oil and filters to keep the 5 year warranty, witch really dosent cost anymore than a couple dollars so order a filter and oil change on you order. If you end up doing a lot of sanding or finishing work get an air dryer they have combo packages as well. Are shop is 4000sqf with 2000 woodworking and 2000 separated for race car shop are compressor can handle the entire shop without a problem and were hobby.

Or buy the 60 gallon compressor and put a 20 gallon or larger tank in the line to increase the capacity.

My last compressor was a 5 hp 60 gal, single stage 4 cylinder Quincy. I can't remember how old the compressor was. Not old for a compressor. One day I went into my shop, and it was full of smoke. Come to find out, my compressor had overheated, and two cylinders got extremely hot, and failed. I decided that it was not worth it to fix it.

About 8 months ago I purchased a 5 hp 80 gal, two stage BelAire compressor. For a large compressor, it is not to loud. I had never heard of the, "BelAire" brand. The tool store where I purchased it sells a lot of them. I had always hear good things about Quincy compressors, and how good they were. However, not so good for me. It still looks brand new, just will not produce air... So far, I am happy with the BelAire.

Like many compressor manufacturers, Quincy sells at least three levels. The QT is the lowest and QR the highest. The QT has an imported price point pump. The price range between low and high just for the pumps run from a few hundred to several thousand so the differences are significant. you can shop online for just compressor pumps to get a feel for the prices of various pumps. That gives you good info when it comes to pricing compressors. Dave

Example, Eaton 5 hp two stage $400, Quincy QT 1500, Saylor Beall 705 splash lubed 1500, Quincy QR 325 3400.
    Last edited by David Kumm; 02-19-2017 at 1:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Dave

Any way you can run two in parallel?
    A new 80 gallon and your existing 80 gallon would be quite the reserve volume of air.
    If nothing else, keep your old Home Depot Unit and as use it as an air receiver, i
    I would continue to use the old compressor, but it's going to stay with the shop in Washington when we sell, and I'm starting pretty much from scratch at the new shop in Utah. I figured the old compressor wasn't worth the hassle of moving it, and leaving it with the shop will be a selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    About 8 months ago I purchased a 5 hp 80 gal, two stage BelAire compressor. For a large compressor, it is not to loud. I had never heard of the, "BelAire" brand. The tool store where I purchased it sells a lot of them. So far, I am happy with the BelAire.
    I have read a lot of positive reviews on the BelAire, and it's on my short list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I would continue to use the old compressor, but it's going to stay with the shop in Washington when we sell, and I'm starting pretty much from scratch at the new shop in Utah. I figured the old compressor wasn't worth the hassle of moving it, and leaving it with the shop will be a selling point.
    Welcome to Utah, what brings you here? What part of Utah are you moving to and what type of shop will you be opening here?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hardy View Post
    Welcome to Utah, what brings you here? What part of Utah are you moving to and what type of shop will you be opening here?
    Retiring (shop teacher) and moving from the Pacific Northwest to someplace drier and less busy. We'll be in Richmond, north of Logan. Shop is built, we just need to sell the Wa place and move. I'll be building furniture and what ever else interests me, and I hope I can sell some of it. I'm looking forward to meeting some of the SMC members when I relocate.