Thread: Structural Experts -- I have a question

Structural Experts -- I have a question

My son is thinking of getting a 65 gallon aquarium. Water at 8.8 lbs per gallon is 540 lbs plus about say 50 lbs for the stand. The weight will be on approx 6 sq ft of floor. My question is will the ~600 lbs be too much for the floor joists in his house to handle.

Framing is 2X10 on 16 centers spaning ~ 14 ft. This is a house built in the late 50's so it has real 2X10's.

I am thinking this is too much weight.

Thoughts??
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I wouldn't worry about it. 600lb is basically the same thing as 4 people standing near the same spot. People can jump up and down, while the aquarium is a static load. Also, the aquarium will probably be placed against a wall instead of the center of the room.

Steve

No worries. I had a 100 gallon salt water tank, which is even heavier, and it was just fine.

I also don't think it will be a problem...I have a 55 upstairs with no issues. I was just advised at the time to place it perpendicular to the joists if possible.

That should not be a problem--assuming that the wood is structurally sound.

Is the tank going to be in the middle of the room or against a wall? If it was in the middle, the worst you would have to worry about is the floor sagging a small amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    That should not be a problem--assuming that the wood is structurally sound.

Is the tank going to be in the middle of the room or against a wall? If it was in the middle, the worst you would have to worry about is the floor sagging a small amount.
    And maybe not even that, depending on what's under it. If you have a structural wall beneath the tank, no matter where in the room it is, you're golden.

Blog Entries
    According to the sagulator if you placed the aquarium in the center of a single 2 x 10 with a 14' span the 2 x 10 would sag .08". I think the fish will be safe wherever you place them in the room.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks everyone. I did not even think of the sagulator.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.