Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Cabinet/Contractor guys...Need some advice

In addition to the question of the floor, I wonder about the stairway side. Is it built around a finished stairway, or the other way around. Sure looks to me like it is made of separate parts, looking at the floor on the two flanking cabinets, and the fact that the small angled one adjacent is different.

I would look inside the bottom cab first and see if there are screws holding the uppers on. If so, it might be possible to remove them, then just deal with the center section problem.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

For sure it was built in sections so that it could be handled, transported and carried in through doorways. May be able to take some components off of it. Another vote for removing it completely and starting over. I had a small commercial shop for years that did that type of work and prospective clients asked many times if I could adapt an existing entertainment center to fit updated equipment. The first several times I took the time to carefully estimate the cost of the work and depict the end results to the clients, but it never seemed to work out. Also, as someone else pointed out, the existing unit (too large, bulky looking) seems to be shoehorned into that space and does not have an attractive look TO ME. As I used to explain to clients, my taste was not the one that counted, but, when asked, I gave my opinion and the reasons involved. I say take it out and build another. You are here on SMC, that means you can build another one . Casework like that is basically just boxes with some face fames and a couple doors if you even decide to add in doors. Paint grade stuff is not that expensive to fab up (3/4", 1/4" birch or maple ply, S4S soft maple or poplar face frame material) and can be custom built to fit the equipment and space to your liking.
    David