Thread: Did California eliminate more solvent based finishes?

Did California eliminate more solvent based finishes?

I noticed Rockler will no longer ship Behlen Lacquer to CA although I was able to get some from Amazon.
    I checked the air resources board summary page (updated Dec 1016) and Lacquer and pigmented lacquers limits are blank for my area so I assume that means not allowed?

Does this mean ML Campbell solvent lacquers and conversion varnish are also a goner?

I don't know if new rules kicked in, but don't assume not shipping to CA is the same as banned here. Several times I've noticed companies not shipping to CA, when I can get the same product locally without trouble. Most recently, for me, it was Tried & True Varnish Oil unavailable shipped to CA & OR from Lee Valley, but on the shelf at the Woodcraft store an hour up the road. Perhaps there are different rules that affect what can be shipped, but I suspect it is just sellers deciding it is too much trouble to keep track of what's legal and what's not and erring on the side of caution.

BTW I don't follow the topic closely and would find out about rule/law changes when posted here.

Agree, there are several sellers on Amazon and they are not going to go against the law.
    I guess I don't understand the CARB coatings rule sheet but doesn't matter.

Anything is possible in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    Anything is possible in California.
    That's very true, but we phrase it a bit differently: "There are endless possibilities in California."

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    The folks in charge of such things obviously came here from somewhere else. None of these rules make sense to Californios either ;-)

There was some scare about not being able to get some finishes a while back and some are absent (Waterlox is an example). However, non-industrial quantities aren't really a problem for me to obtain. A search for Behlan suppliers in California yields an impressive list. They just aren't the specialty shops we often buy from.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Some products are available on a county by county basis. Waterlox is not available in LA county but is in Ventura county.

to the OP's point, no new regulations are out. But they probably don't want to try and differentiate counties. So, "no shipping to California."
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"