Thread: Barn dust collection and ventilation?

Barn dust collection and ventilation?

I have a couple of dust collectors that I would like to use in my barn converted workshop. The barn is 40'x60' with about an additional 1000 sq. ft. of open mezzanine running along the length. The peak height is about 30 ft. The woodworking is toward the back and open part of the shop. I was thinking of either installing the dust collectors at each end near the peak and directing the exhaust toward the gable vents or installing them lower along one wall on the side of the shop where the woodworking is done and installing separate gable reversible exhaust fans. Although the later involves a little more work and expense my thinking is that the dust collectors would be closer to where the dust is created. The separate gable fans could be individually controlled to either direct the desired temperature air depending on the time of day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think that terminating the DC exhaust near the gable fan, and hoping that most of the dust jumps from one to the other, is not going to work. A lot of the dust will stay inside the building. If you're going to exhaust the DC outside, just cut a hole in the barn wall. All the dust will go outside. Furthermore, you separate the functions: the DC takes care of dust, and the gable fans take care of temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I think that terminating the DC exhaust near the gable fan, and hoping that most of the dust jumps from one to the other, is not going to work. A lot of the dust will stay inside the building. If you're going to exhaust the DC outside, just cut a hole in the barn wall. All the dust will go outside. Furthermore, you separate the functions: the DC takes care of dust, and the gable fans take care of temperature.
    I tend to agree and that's what I'll probably do.