Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing cast iron top cleaning results!

Amazing cast iron top cleaning results!

Nothing earth shattering but I just tried cleaning a table saw cast iron top using a method suggested by a YouTube contributor. It simply involves spraying the top with PB Blaster and using a very fine Scotch-Brite pad and a random orbital polisher. It removed all of the stains and spots. The top wasn't in bad condition before but it looks almost new now. I tried the same approach before but without the polisher and never achieved the same results. As further suggested I'll remove the oils from the PB Blaster and follow up with a few coats of wax. Like I said, nothing earth shattering but the results are amazing.

Sounds great Steve,Yesterday I cleaned my truck inside and out and I swear it feels new again.Rides real nice wonder if it will work for my 60+ year old tablesaw.
    I think it's worth a try
    Aj

Do you have a link to the YouTube video?
    I wonder if WD40 would work also?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Nothing earth shattering but I just tried cleaning a table saw cast iron top using a method suggested by a YouTube contributor. It simply involves spraying the top with PB Blaster and using a very fine Scotch-Brite pad and a random orbital polisher. It removed all of the stains and spots. The top wasn't in bad condition before but it looks almost new now. I tried the same approach before but without the polisher and never achieved the same results. As further suggested I'll remove the oils from the PB Blaster and follow up with a few coats of wax. Like I said, nothing earth shattering but the results are amazing.
    I'm also a fan of PB Blaster. I buy it by the gallon (a lot cheaper that way) and sometimes soak things in it.

I also like the Boeshield T-9 as a protecting coating - it "dries to a thin, waxy film that clings to metal for months". I use it on the bandsaw I use to cut green wood and on the lathe bed. Some wood causes instant discoloration and rapid rusting but this stuff stops it. That said, I'm not exactly a fanatic about pristine tool surfaces but I don't much care for black stains and rust.

JKJ

WD-40 and 0000 steel wool worked very well with my ROS to clean my old but new to me Unisaw. I could believe PB Blaster might work better or at least more quickly, however.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Rosypal View Post
    Do you have a link to the YouTube video?
    I wonder if WD40 would work also?
    Sorry I don't have the link. Your search will result with the same as mine. My description above is about all there was to it though. I think the only benefit with using PB Blaster is for a heavily rusted surface. Mine was not but I had the PB Blaster so I used it anyway. I think any thin oil like WD40 will do the trick as it just serves to keep the rust, etc. in suspension like wet sanding. Again, I think the key is the random orbital polisher as it makes short work of the process instead of elbow grease. The only caution I would give in using WD40 is make sure you remove it before applying the wax. I understand any silicone residue is not good when wood contacts it as it may change color in a not so good way. That's what I heard anyway.

PB works but for whatever reason the fumes quickly make me sick,just can't use it.

Blog Entries
    Where I used to work, we made lots on machines with machined cast iron surfaces. It was standard practice to clean them with a vibratory sander with a scotch brite pad and WD-40 or light machine oil. The results are pretty amazing, but the process is pretty messy.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This is my favorite method by far. Quickest, easiest, shiniest. Video embedded in the thread ink below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...n-the-easy-way

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    This is my favorite method by far. Quickest, easiest, shiniest. Video embedded in the thread ink below.

Jack rocks! As much old iron as he resurfaces, it's no wonder he came up with a quick and easy solution,
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If you happen to have a small angle grinder handy it can accomplish the same thing just a whole lot faster. Using the maroon scotch write pads I cut out the round shape with and center hole and mount it to a backing disc, even a huge top with heavy rust can be cleaned up in minutes. I prefer this way as it fast but also since I don't like my ROS anywhere near oils

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    This is my favorite method by far. Quickest, easiest, shiniest. Videoembedded in the thread ink below.

I didn't notice any lubrication on the table top before he hit it with the scotch brite pads. ???

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    I didn't notice any lubrication on the table top before he hit it with the scotch brite pads. ???
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    If you happen to have a small angle grinder handy it can accomplish the same thing just a whole lot faster. Using the maroon scotch write pads I cut out the round shape with and center hole and mount it to a backing disc, even a huge top with heavy rust can be cleaned up in minutes. I prefer this way as it fast but also since I don't like my ROS anywhere near oils

good luck,
    JeffD
    2 posts late Jeff!

I have a new to me jointer I have to do, will let you know the results. i-9k477Zq-L.jpg