Thread: Rust Hunt find....

Question Rust Hunt find....

Not sure WHAT it is, though.
    DSCF0001.JPG
    What you see, is what I got. Toothy piece of flat stock slid into this "holder" and a thumbscrew tightened things down...Gave this a clean up today..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    For scale, that is a Stanley SW #70 sitting beside the new item. There is a Patent date inscribed..
    patent date.JPG
    Across the crossbar. Each of them "teeth is a different pattern...cutter only goes in one way. I don't have enough room to turn the cutter 90 degrees...
    pivot points.JPG
    Slotted set screws serve as pivot points, as they thread into the inner half only. No threads on the outer half.
    Handle is some very fancy, light weight wood. There is a bolt in the end, to thread into it's spot.
    DSCF0005.JPG
    Bottom is rounded, and smooth..
    DSCF0006.JPG
    Any clues as to what this thing might be?

A scraper for removing labels from wooden crates so they can be re used and re labeled.

That would be what the #70 is for....and it does a very good job of removing those bar-code stickers they put on lumber nowadays....however, the new item is not the 70. Might be for use in plaster? The cutter will make astragals, as it is shaped for that. The straight edges were never sharpened, as far as I can tell...

Its a scraper. It has a non-typical User made blade installed, (looks like its part of an old saw plate)
    I have a similar one with a patent date that reads "PAT'D FEB 7 99", and if you do a patent search for that date in datamp.org you'll find patent # 619131 registered to Chester H Britt of Lynn Massachusetts, with patent rights shared by Reuben H Page.
    Thepatent claims that the rounded design of the blade holder as asignificant improvement in providing a comfortable grip so that “theoperator is enabled to use the tool for a longer period of timewithout suffering fatigue”and that this design “lightens the taskto such an extent as to increase the capacity and output of theworkman”.
    US Pat 619131.jpg

Would I need a scraper blade, like from a #80, to make this work? or, could I sharpen the blade in it now as a scraper? There are two straight edges, well, almost straight. I could grind a new edge? Maybe make it like the #80's edge?

Steven, I'd sharpen the blade you have and see how it works. You could also try different sharpening profiles, and other blades if you have them available, to see what works best for you. Have fun !
    [my blade is about .045" thick, but it might not be original either]

Took the cutter out, re-ground a straighter edge on one end. Then ground a 45 degree bevel. Screwdriver to turn the burr on the bevel towards the flat side.

Test drive was too bad.....lots of fuzzies! Not really for making shavings, I guess. Cleaned the glue line on the top for that Chisel Dresser....worked nicely.

Might be a keeper.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Took the cutter out, re-ground a straighter edge on one end. Then ground a 45 degree bevel. Screwdriver to turn the burr on the bevel towards the flat side.

Test drive was too bad.....lots of fuzzies! Not really for making shavings, I guess. Cleaned the glue line on the top for that Chisel Dresser....worked nicely.

Might be a keeper.....
    Good luck...hope it works out well!

Keeping the hook is the hardest part of the tool..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    This stretch of Pine WAS rough sawn a little while ago....
    DSCF0004.JPG
    This is what the scraper will make. Not quite sawdust, and not quite shavings...I have other planes for that
    DSCF0006.JPG
    No. 0-7 and a Type 9 No. 7c.......
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Seems to do a nice enough job...

Hi Steven,

It's nice when you end up with something from a rust hunt, don't know what it is, go to this site, get information, repair it, and then decided it works well enough that it may be a keeper! Cool!

Almost sounds like an answer to the question "you know you have a neander problem when"

Stew

My thanks to Rob Paul for the info....

It may need a bit more of a burr, to make better shavings...it will do to remove those glued on labels that the Borgs put on their lumber....