Thread: Precision Combination Chuck mounting?

Precision Combination Chuck mounting?

A Precision Combination Chuck was included in my recent lathe purchase. It's a nice little chuck but I don't know how it's supposed to be mounted. There is a 5/8" +/- hole on the back with a set screw that looks like it would mount on a straight shaft. Has anyone used one of these?

2. Pics would be helpful...
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Pics would be helpful...
    This isn't mine but it's exactly the same.
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/lathes/lat...ies/1170400475

Could be for a Shopsmith. They have 5/8" bore. But after clicking on your link, I've never seen anything like that on a SS machine.
    Last edited by David Delo; 02-19-2017 at 9:22 PM.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    A Precision Combination Chuck was included in my recent lathe purchase. It's a nice little chuck but I don't know how it's supposed to be mounted. There is a 5/8" +/- hole on the back with a set screw that looks like it would mount on a straight shaft. Has anyone used one of these?
    Is this the one?
    precision_combo_chuck.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._chuck_PCC.pdf

I found this link here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/turning/com..._an_old_chuck/

JKJ

Yes, that's the one. I have the original Sorby box and instructions but there isn't any mention about how it's mounted on the lathe. I suppose it could be as simple as making an adapter to go from my M33 to straight 5/8"+/- shaft with a flat spot on the shaft to receive the chuck's set screw.

Yes, that's the one. I have the original Sorby box and instructions but there isn't any mention about how it's mounted on the lathe. I suppose it could be as simple as making an adapter to go from my M33 to straight 5/8"+/- shaft with a flat spot on the shaft to receive the chuck's set screw.
    One of the links in the link I gave you discusses how this is a Shopsmith chuck:
    http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=2217
    I don't have a Shopsmith but googling "shopsmith spindle threads" indicate a 5/8" spindle and several places to get an adapter (which I didn't read).

JKJ

Yes that is a shop smith chuck. It is the same one I have that I use on my shop smith. Shop Smith uses a 5/8" shaft on the shop smith. It is a good chuck for a shop smith but it is not as nice as the newer scroll chuck out there now.

I have the PCC chuck bought back in 1984 it worked well but as said above not at all like the chucks of today. The chuck came threaded 3/4x16 for my old crapsman lath when I upgraded I bought the body of the chuck to fit the 1x8 thread of my upgrade lathe, the only thing I use it for now is the 1" pin chuck, that works very well, some of the other things not so much. Wally

Thanks fellow turners! What I thought might be a good addition to my lathe may not be afterall considering I already have 3 other chucks; Stronghold, Vicmarc and I think a Bison. The effort to adapt the Precision may be more trouble than it's worth. Too bad because it seems to be very well made.

Thanks fellow turners! What I thought might be a good addition to my lathe may not be afterall considering I already have 3 other chucks; Stronghold, Vicmarc and I think a Bison. The effort to adapt the Precision may be more trouble than it's worth. Too bad because it seems to be very well made.
    Steve with very little effort, other than some machining, you could get a MT with the drawbar thread in it and have the end machined to the ⅝” size, a old fit is needed and then a setscrew would hold it just fine, especially if there is a flat on it for the setscrew to seat on.

That chuck is good for certain small turnings like boxes and other things, with some precision that chuck will hold these very nicely.
    Have fun and take care