Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing used machines from Canada (Quebec) to USA (Vermont)

Importing used machines from Canada (Quebec) to USA (Vermont)

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone has experience buying used equipment from a private seller, in Canada (Quebec) and bringing it back to the USA?

I am a finish carpenter and I make chairs on the side. I have always bought used machines, because I do not have the resources to buy new. I have been fortunate over the years and acquired some great machines.

Living in Vermont, in my experience, there is not a huge market of used tools. I have bought most equipment in New Hampshire, Massachusetts or Connecticut (I think simply because of greater population).

I am currently setting a small shop and am looking for a used 14" General 130 planer.

I have found 2 General 130 planers for sale near Montreal Quebec, which is roughly 2 hours away. Being the home of General Machinery, and with a population of over 4 million, it seems like an easier place to find a used 130 planer.

From my understanding, residential voltage is also 120volts in Quebec, so that's not an issue.

Any advice would be appreciated! I am going to try to contact a customs officer, but figured I would ask here as well!

I've never made the trip myself but have freighted a few machines in. There are freight companies that do all the paperwork and charge you the fees. The last machine was a 2600 lb lathe. Freight was 500 from Quebec to Wisconsin and about 400 for all the fees. Dave

Blog Entries
    Years ago, I purchased my band saw new in Canada at a woodworking show. I had no problem bringing it back across the border. I just had to declare the saw and show the bill of sale. At that time there was no fee that I had to pay. You might find this information useful. Customs Duty
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you both, David and Lee for replying to my post about buying tools in Canada. I was able to buy the 14 inch General planer outside of Montreal earlier this year. I told the border agent that it was for hobby use. He asked me a bunch of questions and gave me grief and said "we'll let it slide this time", but I wasn't very worried about it, because it is a small machine. I think I may have had more trouble if the machine were manufactured outside of Quebec. I also think that if the machine were larger I would have had to pay a customs duty.

If I end up going over the border again with larger equipment, I will post another update. Thanks

I thought NAFTA pretty much did away with Customs charges for products manufactured in a NAFTA country?

There HZ are 50 not 60 like the US the machine will run slightly slower.

Quote Originally Posted by George Makra View Post
    There HZ are 50 not 60 like the US the machine will run slightly slower.
    Incorrect, our single phase supply for houses is 120/240V 60 hertz.

Our 3 phase voltage is different, it's 600V versus 480V in the USA..............Rod.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I thought NAFTA pretty much did away with Customs charges for products manufactured in a NAFTA country?
    Yeah, but you still have to declare your purchase at customs and produce the original bill of sale, fill out the appropriate forms if applicable, CSA compliance for commercial use when going North, compliance with agricultural regulations, different firearms regulations ..... and the list goes on.
    In a nutshell: It could be a lot worse .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Incorrect, our single phase supply for houses is 120/240V 60 hertz.

Our 3 phase voltage is different, it's 600V versus 480V in the USA..............Rod.
    Quebec is isolated from the rest of the North American AC electrical grid and runs 50 HZ as opposed to 60 HZ in the rest of the continent.

Mike

My experience with customs (bringing stuff into Canada from US) is that if it is for personal use there is no problem but if its comercial they want you to go through a broker. Vehicles, of course, are a different story. I would call up US customs and ask them. I dont think its much different that someone on holidays bringing stuff back.There is a limit on how much you can bring back before having to pay duty,taxes etc. and that is usually dependent on how long you were out of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Quebec is isolated from the rest of the North American AC electrical grid and runs 50 HZ as opposed to 60 HZ in the rest of the continent.

Mike
    What's your source for this Mike? I think Rod is correct.

Hydro Quebec says it is 60hz. Or course, they only say it in French.

We bought a dog in Canada (had him flown from NS to Toronto, and drove him home from there). At the border they asked if we bought anything. I answered just the dog, not having any idea what to expect. He didn't react at all, and told us to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post

Mike
    That's funny.

I'm an Electrical Technologist who works in Quebec, I guarantee you it's 60 Hz............Rod.

Better do it before Trump pulls the USA out of NAFTA and slaps duties on all incoming stuff.
    Bill

1) I'd be careful about buying things in Quebec. Make sure, for example, that it is old enough to have been made in Canada, not imported from China and relabeled - because the NAFTA rules only apply if the thing is genuinely "made in Canada". Similarly, a bill of sale in French will not be rejected at the border but may cause a considerable slowdown if you draw the wrong agent.

2) in general, the least hassle way of getting stuff across the border is to use a shipping company that handles paperwork for you. It costs money, but you know in advance what things cost and when things arrive.

3) if you put the machine in your pickup and drive across the border your hassle factor will depend almost entirely on the agent you draw. The vast majority (on the American side, it's reversed coming into Canada) will make things as quick and easy for you as the rules allow. Have your paperwork in order and you should have no problems. CSA and UL are accepfed on both sides of the border, newer gear will be 220V/60Hz, safety requirements are similar, etc. Check with customs to get the right forms, fill em out clearly, and ..

4) exchange rates are wildly in your favor today, but don't forget you'll be paying US border fees/taxes (if any) in US dollars.