Thread: do these actually exist?

do these actually exist?

Is there anything such as 1/8" diameter router bits? If possible, I'd prefer a 1/2" shaft.

Or does anyone know about end mills or...

Thank you.

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Yes there are but I have only used them with a 1/4" shaft. Also I use 1/16", 3/32 and 1/8" end mills with a 1/8" shaft using a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.
    PS. You will find the very small router bits are quite expensive but the end mills a relatively inexpensive.
    Last edited by Tom Giacomo; 02-19-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Vermont American 23100
    They used to make HSS router bits in 1/16" and 1/8". Sears sold them also under the Craftsman brand years back.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

If you search for CNC router bits you will find all kinds of sizes not generally available for routers. I use router bits down to 1mm in dia (I've seen down to .1 mm). My cnc uses ER20 type collets however - collets are available in metric sizes from 1-13 mm in 1 mm increments and fractional sizes from 1/16-1/2 in 1/16 increments. Many of the very small bits use 1/8 shanks. I've bought 1/8 spiral bits, 1/8 shank at about $1.50 each - American made, solid carbide, spiral. Search for seller drillman1 on eBay. Precisebits makes ER type collets for some standard routers.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    LeeValley, in HSS and carbide.

Whiteside has a couple different options for 1/4" shank 1/8" bits, but I dont see one that is 1/2".
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I probably own a dozen or so. A few are straight cut. I have several each of spiral upcut and downcut bits. I have a couple of O-flutes in this size for cutting plastic. Some are designed for plunging and others not. These bits are standard for CNC routers and they wear out quickly with hard use. I have a few 1/16 inch straight cut bits too. I don't know that I have ever seen one in a half inch shank, although I'll bet you can find them if you really want.