Thread: Chicago bar rail: glued to plywood?

Chicago bar rail: glued to plywood?

I apologize if this seems redundant; but rather than put my other thread off topic, I figured I'd open a new one (plus it's easier to google this way!)

I'm building a bar top with a 3/4 plywood sub-top and a 3/4 cherry top.

I'm adding a Chicago bar rail to the top, which will also be made of cherry.

I ordered red the rail online, and the website it came from states I should glue the rail to the sub top, and screw from underneath.

Im wondering, though; should I be skipping the glue here as well due to the concerns with expansion and contraction?

If the glue contact area is --as is typical-- fairly narrow (<4" +/-) then I think you are safe to glue. You will need to be careful with the main bar top plywood-to-solid connection, though. You can glue the front edge (up against the rail) -- and a few inches inboard-- but you'd better let it float beyond that. Screws through slotted holes in the ply would be (and has been) my method of choice.

It's ok to glue to the sub top. As Jerry says, take care attaching the main top to the sub top. Cheers