Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dream Jointer & Planer

Separates and used machines would be the way to go. An Oliver Pattermakers or Porter or whatever is for sale close by in 12" or 16" would be fine. An 8' long (or longer) jointer is preferred. If it comes with the grinder all the better. For a planer as large as you can move and power. As Dave suggested, I too am partial to a Tersa or similar head where the planing depth doesn't change with a blade change, and blade changes can be easily accomplished. Digital (manual or electronic) depth of cut is a must have. The budget you've set will give you lots of flexibility.

The issue with a combo machine is that the jointer will be larger than you need and the tables likely too short, and the planer smaller than ideal. Plus as others have mentioned, switching does impact workflow.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Hey,Warren! Remember those commercials about the Maytag repairman being "the loneliest guy in town" ? Must be because he won't work on anything not made by Maytag....one of those The Rest Of The Story radio stories.

Hi Mel,

yeah im old enough I do, and Get Smart, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres and and even cigarette commercials. I had old stuff for years worked fine. 125.00 for a well used Inglis washer and drier sitting in the pizza store. Had a friend in the bus. Very good at it always kept me running. One day he says maybe you should look at new stuff. Scouped new matching Maytag washer and dryer. Im really moving up in the world whats next a new car? so few years in just one person using it not overloading it washer starts to leak. He comes up says its the transmission, in the past we rebuilt all this stuff now parts for it from China blah blah wont last that long. I said so thats it?

Hes in his 50's said when he was 18 and doing this repair said he made more money they rebuilt all this stuff now its throw away and on top traffic in the city is so bad he can only do half as many calls. He also said hes not impressed with the new stuff, circuit boards in his mind are not meant to be around heat water and vibration. Since we've put my mom into an old folks storage wharehouse I asked about her washer and dryer. She said sure take them both. They are 40 or more year old Maytag. They look funny like art deco one or two knobs on them type thing. A year or two ago the dryer stopped heating. The friend came over, five seconds says needs a new heat element. Suggests fix it. He calls up for the part and they say yeah got three of them on the shelf. The good old days.

I think I looked at parts to do the repair as well, ive done a fair bit of car repair stuff but thinking about it just thought I was ticked that it wasnt even maytag so decided not to put any time into it.

I would pick the combination jointer planer.

I have a 310mm (12 inch) J/P, it replaced a couple of General separates.

I wouldn't go back, the space savings and increase in capacity were great, as I have a small shop.

I have the Hammer A3-31, you wouldn't go wrong with it, or a Felder or a Mini Max machine.............Regards, Rod.

P.S. Of course you wouldn't go wrong with a Martin either

IMO the only reasons to get a combo machine is space and/or budget. That said the 8" DJ you listed is IMO too small for your budget and for me a planer wider than 15" needs segmented infeed rollers to take full advantage of the width. Of your listed choices the Felder would be my choice but I would likely use the budget in a different way with a 12" jointer and 15-20" planer.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You will never regret getting a wide jointer. In my world, width is far more important than bed length, even though I regularly handle 6 to 8' long stock. A 16" J/P has far more value to me than a 20" planer with only an 8" jointer. I have a 14" MiniMax J/P, and often wish it were a 16". From the criteria you listed, the widest J/P you can find is your best option.

John

Combo would be my choice for sure. The Felder is nice, but you should also look at the MiniMax FS41 Elite, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Felder AD 741 combination machine. It's pretty good - you can read my review of it here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Planer-Review

If space is tight, I think the combo is the way to go. I'm pretty sure Felder is having a sale on the 741 or 941 right now.