Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream Jointer & Planer

Dream Jointer & Planer

Shop space is a premium for me after installing a euro slider. This year I am going to upgrade the jointer and planer, and I'm considering a combo machine. Which option would you choose:

a) Powermatic 209HH 20" Planer with byrd head + Delta DJ20 8" Jointer w/ byrd head
    b) Felder AD941 Combo 16" Jointer/Planer
    c) Another choice? Want best I can get, minimize footprint but not regret switching machine modes, and stay below $12k for both machines

Dan

PM221 and a Yates american/porter/Northfield/oliver, etc.

If you're considering Felder I would also look at the comparable SCM/MiniMax offering

#2 (or other comparable combo machine)!

It's so much easier to mill lumber when your jointer and planer have the same capacity. I know there are work-arounds to make your jointer flatten a wider board than its capacity, but it's more of a hassle than just running it through. At 16", you will rarely need more capacity. And you said space is at a premium.

Separates if you have the room. 16" jointer with tersa if new, straight knife if old. Plane at 20" with either Tersa or insert. When you get into bigger machines three phase is the way to go. If space limited, buy the heaviest JP with the thickest table castings ground flat and the heaviest steel base. 5-6MM thick steel. If you like old, the Oliver 399 and 166 are a great choice for less than 12K. I run a SAC 530 and a Porter cm300 16" as my everyday. The 399 and 166 are sitting in storage because I like to experiment, not because the other are better. Dave

I have the powermatic 15" planer and their 8" jointer, both with the byrd cutter head and I love them both. While at the old shop, I did consider a combo machine (due to space) but didn't like the idea of having to flip tables to go from planing to jointing and vise versa. IF I had to get a combo machine, felder would be on the top of the list. From all the reading and research I've done along with feedback from other members here on the creek, it sounds like a great solid machine.

think Martin makes a combo machine since you are talking combo.

If you have a wide sander, you will benefit from having a wide combo vs. a narrower jointer and wider planer.
    I have a 14" J/P and it has served 99% of my needs. If it had longer and wider beds I'd be happier.

Dream setup? I'll take my Crescent 24" jointer and I'd add an Oliver 2279 planer since we're dreaming.

If space is an issue, I still might get the biggest old jointer you can fit and find a decent small footprint 18" planer like the Oliver 399 mentioned above. For reference, my Crescent jointer table is 27" wide and about 7 feet long. Add a bit of width for the belt drive, etc. but it really isn't much harder to walk around than my 6" was given where I put it. I'm in a 2 car garage and use a Dewalt 734 for planing duties until I can find a good 18 or 24" planer to replace it with. Get your layout right and you can fit some surprisingly large stuff in a small space and still have room to walk around.

Since you mentioned dream setup, make sure you get something bigger than an 8" jointer if you have access to lumber that could use it. I've never used a combination machine, but the good ones look like they offer the best use of space if you're ok with the changeover time.

i had a 208/209 planer and long bed 8 inch jointer. now have felder ad 741. it takes up about the same footprint that the planer had with the roller feed tables. so, now i have the extra space that the old jointer took up, and the quality of the felder shines, shines, shines! i am a hobby furniture maker and time switching doesn't bother me, but i do notice it isn't as quick as using one machine, turning around and using the other. if i were doing production, or even more than one piece every few weeks to month, might feel different. i wouldn't pick the 209 though, never really liked it. repeatable digital accuracy within a couple thousands of an inch was something i never got with with the powermatic, and now i expect it of the felder

Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Dream setup? I'll take my Crescent 24" jointer and I'd add an Oliver 2279 planer since we're dreaming.

If space is an issue, I still might get the biggest old jointer you can fit and find a decent small footprint 18" planer like the Oliver 399 mentioned above. For reference, my Crescent jointer table is 27" wide and about 7 feet long. Add a bit of width for the belt drive, etc. but it really isn't much harder to walk around than my 6" was given where I put it. I'm in a 2 car garage and use a Dewalt 734 for planing duties until I can find a good 18 or 24" planer to replace it with. Get your layout right and you can fit some surprisingly large stuff in a small space and still have room to walk around.

Since you mentioned dream setup, make sure you get something bigger than an 8" jointer if you have access to lumber that could use it. I've never used a combination machine, but the good ones look like they offer the best use of space if you're ok with the changeover time.
    Nice to see love for older American machines here.

If I could justify a Felder, Id go that way for sure. Im saving my pennies for a Hammer, you could check out the Hammer A3-41 too.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    think Martin makes a combo machine since you are talking combo.
    indeed they do. if you're willing to break your $12k barrier, consider the martin combo. i have it with tersa knives, it's a beast and handles literally anything i can throw at it.

i'd rather have separate martins, sure, but barring that, this is a terrific machine. but you can't get it for $12k.

good luck with your purchase.

--- dz

Yes, the Martin TP300, is a 530mm jointer/planer. The machine is built by Griggio (Italy) for Martin and the machine was around 19k, in 2012 ish.

Hmmm so the Martin is made by Griggio? then I wonder who made my Griggio, SCM ? My Maytag Washer and dryer turns out were made by Amana. If I knew that in the first place would not have bought them. I must be getting old.