Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scary Sharp and Steve LaMantia

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Pete; you sure you don't mean Letmathian. Reference to Peter Brabeck-Letmathe

/URL][/SUP]
    Nope. Speaking for Pete, here, he absolutely means "Lamanthian." Check out the Oldtools Archives sometime. They're good reading.

Bruce; just curious. What does Lamanthian actually refer too.

Stewie;

The Scary Sharp guy was named Steve Lamantia and he was known to write long-winded posts. When someone wrote, or read, a long-winded post by themselves or someone else, they would call it a "Lamanthian" (made up word) post as a tongue-in-cheek reference to Steve so as to advise everyone to be aware that it was going to be a longer type post. It was all in fun.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Bruce; just curious. What does Lamanthian actually refer too.

Stewie;
    What David just said, with the addendum that Steve's post were frequently very funny. There were four original Galoots, as named by Steve. I was one of that group.

Some might find this introductory notice amusing. Seems like just yesterday... I wonder how TRB is doing these days? Note the date on the announcement.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/h6hT03Sa36w

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    After reading what Steve wrote I find him highly abrasive.

Sorry, it had to be said!
    Note to self..... If you notice a post by Tom, swallow your tasty beverage BEFORE you read lest you laugh so unexpectedly that you cover things with said beverage... Very well said Tom!

It was exactly that post (as posted by Derek, not Tom's response) that caused me to start sharpening with sand paper.

Derek,
    Many thanks for posting this. I was in the shop or on the road when this was posted and am so very glad I got to read it in its original form. A truly enjoyable read, filled with humour and fun. What a blessing!
    Mahalo - Bill

I'm saddened to hear of Steve's passing. Thanks for posting this notice, Derek.

I still prefer this sharpening method over all others, after all these years.

Jeff
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    What David just said, with the addendum that Steve's post were frequently very funny. There were four original Galoots, as named by Steve. I was one of that group.
    Hi Bruce

I've been a member of the List Serve since about 2000. I think my first bio was around that time. It was updated in 2006. I still read the posts each day, although my contributions are less frequent than others. I could not imagine woodworking without it. There have been many wonderful characters, just like Steve. Hell, all Galoots are the best fellows!

Regards from Perth

Derek

It's truly a sad day when somebody who's contributed so much to the Neander community passes away.

Like many other in this thread I saw and see Steve's "scary sharp" writeup in the humorous light he intended. Reading it still makes me smile, even if I personally choose not to hone on sandpaper for the most part.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    It's truly a sad day when somebody who's contributed so much to the Neander community passes away.

Like many other in this thread I saw and see Steve's "scary sharp" writeup in the humorous light he intended. Reading it still makes me smile, even if I personally choose not to hone on sandpaper for the most part.
    I once read that when some pass it is like a great library has burnt down.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks, Derek for posting this memento. It was fun to read, and to remember when alt.anything did not automatically make me set my jaw.

This thread has more love for scary sharp than I have seen in months. Art Mann may have put his finger on it. How can it be so great and not be expensive? This is downright subversive. Sharpening is not supposed to be simple! No diamond flattening stones? No water bath? Just go ahead and hone?

As Steve wrote, scary sharp was such a pleasure and relief after oilstones. It was the first method that got my tools really sharp. You'd wonder why I ever even tried waterstones, but I did. But Scary Sharp took me back, sadder but wiser, and promising never to flirt again (although those ceramics are mighty smooth).

Doug