Thread: Shimming miter saw extension wings

Shimming miter saw extension wings

No matter how carefully I make them, my miter saw extension wings (that sit on top of a very flat workbench) are never perfectly level with the top of the saw along their entire length. Very close, but never perfect. I'm thinking I need make them a bit shorter in height so I can shim them level.

Anybody come up with a better design for extension wings that makes it easier to shim? Or a way to accomplish what I need to do without shimming?

Jason

Jason,
    Could you make them half an inch shorter and put levelling feet on each corner of each wing?

Might be worth thinking about, depending on your setup.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I need to come up with something better myself. I was sawing about an 8" log in half and the blade grabbed it and bent everything on my fairly new Hitachi 12".

Frederick's idea of the leveling feet is exactly what I have planned for mine. That way in case the cabinets that the fence and saw are on top of ever shifts slightly or I get a new miter saw I can readjust. I am also planning to do the same on the platform where the saw itself sits.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I thought of that, too. I think it's a good idea, but then I'd have to figure out a way to prevent the wings from moving around. Maybe some corner blocks attached to the benchtop to lock it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Jason,
    Could you make them half an inch shorter and put levelling feet on each corner of each wing?

Might be worth thinking about, depending on your setup.

Fred
    Last edited by Jason White; 02-23-2017 at 8:43 PM.

You mean because you didn't have extension wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I need to come up with something better myself. I was sawing about an 8" log in half and the blade grabbed it and bent everything on my fairly new Hitachi 12".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    You mean because you didn't have extension wings?
    Well, Jason, I think my problem runs a bit deeper. Perhaps an extention brain...with a foolproof deadman button (my dad was a railroad engineer.