Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust Prevention in Galveston County, Texas

Blog Entries

Rust Prevention in Galveston County, Texas

In this coastal area, during the rainy periods, files, chisels and other hand tools tend to rust.

On this rainy Monday morning, I was replenishing the aluminum foil wraps on my hand tools that
    stay out on the bench. It occurred to me that I didn't know this "trick" for a period of time.
    So I thought for the benefit of newbies and old forgetful dogs (I'm among the latter) I might
    bring this up.

If you wrap tools in aluminum foil that stay out on the bench, they don't rust.
    Johnson's floor wax protects as well.

How about sharing your rust prevention tips with us.

I have an un-insulated shop in Ohio. While saltwater isn't an issue, the random warm days in the middle of winter make a mess of condensation on anything with appreciable thermal mass.

I like Johnson's paste wax for prevention as well as a ceiling fan to keep the air moving in the shop. An old sheet or t-shirt thrown over large items (power tools and bench vise) seems to help as well.
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

Johnsons most of the time and, when I remember to look for it, some of the complimentary camellia (or something like that?) oil I got with a razor one time.
    David

Is this where I talk about bacon again?

Go for it. Only deviants do not want to hear about bacon.
    David

I like the "emitters". They haven't caught on as fast as I thought they would ,but work well.

Yes THE BACON PROOF! When you unwrap bacon wrap it back up tightly in aluminum foil. It excludes the air and your bacon keeps far longer. Works for tools too. Eliminates most of the air and greatly restricts air movement and thus moisture penetration.

This may very well be solid scientific information, William, indeed I have no doubt as to the truth you send out to us, but................is keeping bacon over a long period of time something oft encountered in the real world? In other words, does an open pack of bacon realistically last all that long in your fridge? Perhaps you may be loaded up with an abundance of self discipline, but I fear the most of us weak slackers have no hope of fending off the siren call of an open pack of bacon close to hand. So, with all due respect to your superior technical knowledge and all around gentleman like demeanor, I put your aluminum foil bacon wrap procedure into the category of a fix looking for a problem.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    This may very well be solid scientific information, William, indeed I have no doubt as to the truth you send out to us, but................is keeping bacon over a long period of time something oft encountered in the real world? In other words, does an open pack of bacon realistically last all that long in your fridge? Perhaps you may be loaded up with an abundance of self discipline, but I fear the most of us weak slackers have no hope of fending off the siren call of an open pack of bacon close to hand. So, with all due respect to your superior technical knowledge and all around gentleman like demeanor, I put your aluminum foil bacon wrap procedure into the category of a fix looking for a problem.
    Kind of like those fancy wine bottle stoppers to keep wine fresh-who has leftover wine??
    Oh, and wax for my tools.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Wait...you're not supposed to cook the package all at the same time?

Now this is a thread derail I can really sink my teeth into.

Oh, and oil, emitters, and a 15w light bulb in my hand tool cab.

From the swamps of Florida:

I used to use a hand tool cabinet with weatherstripped doors. Kept a can of DampRid in side. This just about eliminated rust issues on my hand planes.

I've also stored tools in a sealable plastic bin with a cube of camphor or rust preventive.

I've tried the rust prevention rods, they may work but they are nothing but little heaters (little bit of false advertizing IMO) and I sent them back.

I would not wax chisels I think this will make them more dangerous than they already are

I wiped my tools down with Jotoba oil after every use.

Notice I say everything in past tense? That's because I built a climate controlled workroom in my shop where I keep my tools out, in , or anywhere and don't have to worry anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Kind of like those fancy wine bottle stoppers to keep wine fresh-who has leftover wine??
    Oh, and wax for my tools.
    Good point ,Don But the "pride of ownership" factor has slowed down street drinkers by as much as 14 minutes.

Blog Entries
    Since no one said they use aluminum foil too, apparently it is not a common practice. In the damp climates it is a very effective tool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Since no one said they use aluminum foil too, apparently it is not a common practice. In the damp climates it is a very effective tool.
    Have you wrapped a #8 in aluminum foil?

That can use up close to a lot of foil.

What about something like a Stanley #45 and all of the parts?

Maybe a cabinet with aluminum lined shelves would do the job.

Besides, I like to be able to look at my tools while in the shop working. Not sure how they all would look with crumpled up aluminum foil all over them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)