Thread: Salvaged Sugar Maple

Smile Salvaged Sugar Maple

Couple of years ago my wife Colleen and I were snowshoeing on our property and came across a dead sugar maple with about 10’ of the trunk still standing. The standing wood looked pretty rough but I cut it down and managed to salvage four turning blanks from the base. This bowl was the first turned from those blanks.

Curly sugar maple, 12” (305mm) diameter x 4” (102mm) high x 3/8” (9.5mm) rim narrowing to 5/16” (8mm) thickness. Sanded to 320 and finished with Mahoney’s Walnut Oil.

Salvaged_Maple_1a.jpg Salvaged_Maple_1b.jpg Salvaged_Maple_1c.jpg

As always, opinions, critiques and comments are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

The one side has what looks to be some quilted effect to it. Is that on the inside surface also? Nice character.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

It is amazing how Nature can surprise us if we don't give up the pursuit. Nice save on some special wood.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Nice color and form. I have only gotten one 'fresh' sugar maple since they are not native here in Oregon. After about 2 months, it looked like holly that had gone grey. You have better weather for it out there. Cool and damp here so every thing that turns green wood to compost loves it...

robo hippy

Steve, glad you are back to turning and posting your work! Great bowl and a beautiful piece of wood.

Left click my name for homepage link.

David, the quilt is on the one side of the bowl - both inside and out.
    Steve

Beautiful Steve!! I need to get back to some lathe work myself. It's been a long while since I've done any real serious turning. I need to do it again. You are inspiring me.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I think I like the photography more than the bowl! Great presentation, I like the dark-to-light gradient.

David - thanks! Not sure if you have a photo setup but I picked up a graduated background a few years ago from here. I am using #39 but am sure there must be a number of places selling backgrounds these days.
    Steve